We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

Hello all! Four of us (two couples, late 20's and early 30's) are traveling to Jamaica in late March. I was wondering the main differences between Ocho Rios, Negril, and Montego Bay. We are definitely staying AI and are interested in a nice beach with good food/restaurants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

this is an old post from Jamerican:

Posted on: 5:21 pm,January 19, 2009 Save

Negril is probably the best for first time visitors. It is a small tourist town, although it has grown quite a bit. There is a fairly large beach there and many bar/restaurants.

Runaway Bay has become much more popular in the last 5 or so years. It is not quite a developed as Negril but is fast becoming very popular. They also have pretty good beaches there.

Montego Bay is most likely the airport you'll be flying into. It is a decent sized city. There aren't a lot of big beaches there. There is quite a bit of available shopping and many excursions in the area. Next to Ochi it is the second most popular cruise ship stop on the island.

Ocho Rios is the most popular cruise ship port in Jamaica. Because of this there is a lot of vendors. I don't really go to Ochi all that much to comment a whole lot more. It is very close to the world famous Dunns River Falls and there are some great all inclusive resorts there as there are in the other three mentioned locations.

Hope this helps.

My 2 cents: Montego Bay is a City. The second largest on the island. It has rocky and man made beaches but does have nightlife off the resorts.

Ochi is a cruise ship port but is close to some well known tours and such.

Runaway Bay again is north coast but is quieter than Ochi and MB but still located fairly close to excursions etc.

Negril is where the soft white sugar sand is for miles and also has the cliff area.

www.negrilinfo.com

Negril imo also has more live entertainment, more food/bar and accommodation options. It's also tourist based.

Enjoy!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

How many days?

When we fly down for a long weekend, we stay in MoBay at Sunset Beach Resort, it's close to the airport, especially for the return when you need to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight, you'd need to leave Ochi and Negril much earlier.

Solid 3 star resort, food was excellent, 3 specialty restaurants, 4 pools are great, lots to do onsite.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147311-d149881…

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

We are staying five or six days...do you think it's worth the drive?

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

I am also looking at going to Jamaica at the end of January. My travel agent suggested Montego Bay but I was leaning towards Negril because of the beaches. Can you suggest an AI hotel? Also, how far is it from the airport?

Thanks! Tonya

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
618 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

Tonya, what kid of resort are you looking far. I might be able to offer some suggestions.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

sunset beach resort for families with kids. For the OP I would suggest Royal Decameron Montego Bay if you want Montego Bay. It's a fun resort in a great location.

Or anywhere in Negril.

And it's a lovely 1.5 hour scenic drive along the coast. Enjoy!

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

For two sets of couples who like to have fun and eat well (but not "spring break"), where would you suggest to stay on MoBay, Negril, and Ocho Rios? We are on a limited budget, but want to stay some place recommended. Thanks so much for all your help thus far! Also, is the ride to Ocho Rios workable? I've read that the roads are pretty bad, but do you get to see nice scenery?

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

Well, that is a very good question. I would like one that has a nice beach, good food and nice rooms. It doesn't really matter about the size of the resort. We would just really like to find a place where we can relax by the pool or the beach and enjoy. Unfortunately, we are only going to be able to go for 4 nights. So we have been trying to decide between Riviera Maya and Jamiaca. The flights are short and allow us to enjoy more vacation time. I keep leaning towards Jamiaca however, the resorts just seem to have better reviews in the Riviera. We are not really picky travelers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

Wow! 1.5 hour drive? However looking at the coast line sounds way better than looking at lots of dirt during the drive we had in Punta Cana last year. Beautiful resorts and beaches though and outstanding service!!!

texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocho Rios, Negril, or Montego Bay

This post answered some of our questions - which area. But have other questions hope you guys can help with. We're planning our summer family vac. for first week of Aug. Jamaica most likely - been to other caribbean & mexico locations but want a different place. Here's the kicker. Group - 3 families - kids ages - 6, 10, 14, 18, 19, & 20. Probably want an AI bc of kids. So much easier, especially with older ones, when they can get there on food/drink anytime. Younger ones don't need kiddie club. They will hang out with older ones during the day (most of the time). We like a nice pool. Even though the beaches are beautiful, the kids get tired of the beach & a large pool is a ++. I like to get this trip planned & booked by early Feb. From Texas - thanks y'all.