We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

uk
Level Contributor
799 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

I know its the Caribbean and the tropical weather will have a splendid array of different moving bugs, spiders and snakes etc...Is there any I should be very carefully of...

We did tell our son not to touch any thing what so ever in the Dominican and some of the early morning spider webs were quite remarkable before they were removed. He is totally crazy about lizards too. They also had lots of very small frogs that seem to appear at night ? I am still going to tell him not to touch any thing in Jamaica but boys will be boys.....so just incase do I need to be very wary of anything...

Thank you

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

The little geckos (bug eating lizards) will keep him amused.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

Yes you will find spiders, frogs and lizards. To be honest I have not seen snakes, but I try not to look for them either. I think you just need to use the same common sense, and tell him to just not touch anything that crawls. Both for his protection and for the creepy crawlies.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

ummm... stay away from the 40-legs (centipedes) they're poisonious and bite HARD... there's something called a galawasp here that is supposedly poisonious and bites hard too.. i've not seen either of these in resort areas (did see the remnants of a huge 40 leg (i'd say over a foot long) in Negril, chopped in 2, covered in ants... ick!

there are cockroaches the size of small birds, which are more gross than dangerous... watch the beach for sea urchins, they are prickly looking "balls" that hurt a LOT if stepped on (you will likely need to see a dr to get the spikes removed).. ummmm... the small lizards i've not known to be dangerous, but they are very bacteria ridden, so if he does play with them, wash his hands good...

snakes are not very easy to find... mongoose have gotten most...

frogs, i seem to remember that if they are any colour other than normal frog/toad colour (greenish brown) then they could be poisonious and to stay away... not sure if that's true, and i've not seen any coloured variety other than in the zoos (where they were poisonious)... i have seen a multi-coloured lizard here tho... it was green and red and blue and purplish, very cool!

Chelle

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

My gf was really concerend about bugs prior to going, I don't think we saw muich more than an occasional fly here or there. Mosquitos were not bad at all, no sand flea problems like I've heard from some people. We did see some hermit crabs and some little gecko type things but that's about it.

uk
Level Contributor
799 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

Thank you all for your replies, Chell00 omgosh great info, I wont be staying around to count the legs though should I see one haha. As for the cockroaches they were really here before all of us and even though they are quite gruesome to see they dont really bother me. Now wasps they are different, I will take sting spray just incase. I also think because my son likes the sea very much I will keep him in sea shoes.

We were told in Disney that the lizards are known to sometimes carry bacterias and are known for things like salmonella.

I also no even though creepy crawlies are not really my thing its great too to see the different ones in different country's, I just like to know if I should stop and stare or run lol....Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

Sea urchins like rocky areas... But occassiinally wash onto sandy shores... Not a issue really on the beach, but have him wear water shoes if he's playing near rocky shores

chelle

7. Re: creepy crawlies/bugs spiders and snakes etc of Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 00:20