We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breezes vs beaches/sandals

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Breezes vs beaches/sandals

I need some help. I have stayed at 4 sandals and 1 beaches property. We have always enjoyed these trips immensely and found them to be a good value. However, I have stumbled onto the Breezes brand, specifically Breezes Trelawny. It's hard to ignore that it is over 50% less for my family of 4 to stay here. In real dollars thats roughly $1600. Is beaches/sandals that much more superior? Has anyone stayed at both brands? what's the difference?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

Sandals is a 4 to 5 star resort and breezes is a 3 star. Not in the same league so it cost much less. If you go with lesser expectations you should be fine. But, if you expect fancy and luxury you will be very very disappointed!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

We just got home last night from one week at BGN and one week at SRC. This was our first trip to a non-Sandals resort and we won't make that mistake again. Click on my name to get to my profile, where you can see my review of BGN. Did our first dive at SRC, and found them great to dive with. Considering all that we found wrong at BGN, we just couldn't bring ourselves to trust their dive group enough to go out.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

I've been to Beaches Negril and Beaches T&C once each as well as Breezes Runaway Bay (twice) and Breezes Curacao (twice). The Beaches resorts are very nice but we liked the Breezes resorts better. They were more casual and layed back . Both of these Breezes locations have great beaches and wonderful, caring staff. Sure we had to get our own coffee and sometimes had to wait for a table to be cleared but somehow it didn't matter as much when paying significantly less. As the "kids" got into their teens they actually liked the Breezes chain better because there seemed like there was more for them to do. Beaches seemed to focus on children more.

One tip, we found booking rooms in the higher categories made a difference in our opinion of the resort and our vacation more enjoyable.

KK

Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

TR-"We just got home last night from one week at BGN and one week at SRC" Was this a family vacation?

OP- I haven't done Breezes but Beaches Boscobel plus a few other family resorts. Beaches was a top family experience but way overpriced. For $1600, I would book Breezes with lower expectations and plan a lovely romantic vacation without the kids. .

That is Sixteen hundred dollars, a no brainer for me:-)

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

Breezes Trelawny is the BOTTOM of the Barrel! Overall we have been to 6 Breezes vacations and while none have been over the top in the success area BT was by far the worst.

It was so bad that within 2 hours of being on the property we were REFUNDED TO our Credit Card the entire amount of our 2 week vacation.

On another Breezes vacation I contracted Giardia, an intestinal parasite. This parasite is usually transmitted from improperly handled food - lack of hand washing after using the rest room. We were with a wedding party of 30. About 1/2 of us ate at the buffet one evening soon after arriving and all of us became seriously ill within 24 hours. I was the worst case and remained off work for close to 6 months ofter returning home. The CDC even became involved.

The most irriating issue with Breezes across the board is that the "activities" they advertise are seldom available. They will shut down the water sports at the slightest hint of wind, things like the rock climbing wall might be open an hour every other day if you are lucky, 2/3rds of the games in the arcades are broken. The sad truth of Breezes is that they are declining...... rapidly.....IMO.

If you can get a REALLY EXCELLENT price and I am talking $700.00 or less PP....then MAYBE I would go back. Other then that I value my time (health) much more.

Now I am not saying I would pay the price of a Beaches resort either. I would look into some of the other options on Jamaica. For a romantic vacation I would stick with Couples Resorts only.

For a kid friendly trip you also have Jamaica Sunset Grande, RIU's, Ibeostar Beach or Suites.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

Other advice when you ask a question like this is to see what a lot of people say! Some people have a vested interest in a type of resort, even though they don't necessarily say that! Some bash certain resorts and push only another. Take these people with a grain of salt! If you research ford, trip reviews books and everything else you will make the right decision! I have been to Breezes Runaway bay and enjoyed it. This was right after spending time at Sandals Dunns river. It was not as fancy but still Very Very good for the money! Breezes Trelawny is a bit of a step down from Breezes Runaway bay though, and that's why the price is what it is! Either way enjoy your trip

7. Re: Breezes vs beaches/sandals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 05:22