We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Resorts in Jamaica

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
New Resorts in Jamaica

Are there any new resorts being built for this year in Jamaica?

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

None that I am aware of.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

Thanks, i was just wondering since im looking to go for vacation sometime this year.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

There were a few that were taken over and ropened, but nothing new that's been built recently.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

There is the newly opened "The Spa Retreat" in the westend of Negril that is absolutely amazing and beautiful. The property is the former Heartbeat location that has been built from the ground up.

I will be posting a review with photos of The Spa Retreat soon - it is an amazing upscale property - www.thespajamaica.com. No expense was spared in creating the property and it shows. Their attention to detail and servicing their clients is top notch!

I celebrated my birthday dinner there last week, at their wonderful restaurant called Blue Mahoe (which is open to the public for breakfast lunch and dinner). It was fantastic and the chef Kevin made repeated visits to our table to insure our meal was the best.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

I hope not... Jamaica already has too many rooms for rent, imo ;)

Whatcha looking for Lauren?

I'll betcha it's already in JA.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

my guess would be soft opening/introductary rates ;) that's usually where these threads go, everyone loves a deal :)

one thing to keep in mind is that in Jamaica, a resort opening can be a seriously painful thing to put yourself into.. i've heard horror stories about a properties being downright full of dangerous safety hazards and being no where near ready to open... things move at a different pace on the island and management sometimes feels the need to stick to a schedule that the workers have deemed unrealistic... they open half finished resorts and wonder why the reviews are horrid...

but i digress... in jamaica, a good idea to catch a deal without setting yourself up for potential disappointment is to check into resorts that have recently changed management... at least you know the property has all major construction complete and is probably functioning as you'd expect :)

Chelle

Edited: 18 January 2012, 16:48
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

Chell, look at the Palmyra opening......and closing.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

Frostychic beat me to the I hope not!!

There are so many places to stay you can find anything you want.

yamangurl-nice you got to check it out. I've been online and it is amazing. I didn;t know the restaurant was open to the public-bushbaby and I will check it out! The only way I see myself staying at a place like that is if I buid it :)

PEACE!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

The Blue Mahoe - prices are comparable to Rockhouse, Ivans's or Kuyaba, FYI.

Food was really good!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Resorts in Jamaica

I'm looking to get married next year in Jamaica and i'm looking for a luxury resort. I just came back from the paradisus punta cana in DR and i want something similar to that in Jamaica. I saw pictures of the Ritz and the Half moon, but they look a little older. So any suggestions is helpful.

Thanks...