We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
jelly fish

can anyone tell me how common is it to run into jelly fish? Are they right out in front of the resorts, or do you run into them more when snorkeling/diving? Can you tell me what is the best thing to do if we run into one? We are going in 20 days, I hear they become more prevalent in April and beyond, do we even need to worry about them in March? Thanks, any help much appreciated! Don't want to spend our vacation in pain!!

Jamaica
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: jelly fish

Hi Scoob's

I live in Ja and swim,snorkel and dive regularly. I have only seen jellyfish twice, one was a non venemous variety but the other was a Sea Wasp.

Jellyfish like to come out more at night and in overcast weather but as i have said they are not common at all in my experience.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Sammy

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: jelly fish

Thanks Sammy!! Now I really do feel better! Knowing you are in the waters all the time and rarely encounter these creatures makes it a little easier to think about maybe snorkeling!! Scoobs

st mary jamaica
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: jelly fish

We are residents of Jamaica and just had friends here and he was swimming 20 yards of the beach and was stung by a large jelly fish, immediate serious allergic reaction, turned bright red, large welts covered side of face, down one side, plus all over arm. Began to have serious muscle spasms, profuse sweating, had to have large doses of benedryl,steroids, vinager bath, and prescription strengh steroid creme/hydrocorticone creme applied and also aloe vera with lidocaine just to be able to stand the pain. The gentleman is 6"4 and 250# and healthy. Luckily wife a doctor and knew how to treat, the hotel tried to play it down and the hotel doctor just said to take benedryl. So these bites/stings can be very serious for some individuals. The beginning of muscle spasms/pins and needles is your cue to seek an emergency room.

Mke, WI
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: jelly fish

Once out of a dozen trips small jelly fish were a problem. They do sting and are hard to see. Experienced more in the morning on that particular trip. Sea was rougher than usual so they may have been more abundant than normal. Sea urchins can be more of a problem, I learned by trip two to take water shoes, especially for rocky areas in the water. Hurts like heck to get a spine in the sole of your foot. If this happens get the spine out and appropriate medicine.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: jelly fish

I never saw the jelly fish that got me but it wrapped around both of my legs. That was about a month ago. I still have faint marks on my leg. hurt like hell. I didn't know what to do when it first happened. I knew what was happening but my brain was only thinking "get this thing off of me!" Rum drinks really helped with the pain. I tend to be dramatic, but it did hurt pretty bad the first day. After that it just hurt to if I bumped into something on those spots. Makes a great story for when you come home though!

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: jelly fish

I just got back from Beaches Nagril.I went snorkeling three times in three different spots and never saw a jellyfish.I loved it so much the first day that I took my 6 year old the second time and my wife and son the third time.I did see a seasnake once but it stayed on the bottom and we watched it for a while.Have a great time and enjoy.Ya Mon!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: jelly fish

my friend got stung by one in August just inside the roped off area a little down the beach from Kuyaba in Negril... he whined about it for days, there was some minor irriation and swelling...

i said he took one for the kids as there were some kids (about 6-10 yrs old) playing about 10 feet away from us... we warned them to move themselves in a bit because there was something in the area...

there are plenty of wonderful things in the sea... as long as they keep their distance....

Chelle

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: jelly fish

I grew up on the Sound in CT and there were always lots of jellyfish in August. Gross. I don't like them either. They were the harmless kind. I saw one small one in Jamaica. Someone said "What's that bubble?" and I said "That's a jellyfish and it's got color, so stay away." But that was right after it rained. I didn't see another one all week and I was in the water all week until my fingers got pruny. (I'm like a little kid, you can't get me out of the ocean.) Saw a lot more when we were in Bermuda. Horseshoe Bay even had to post a warning about Men of War. I tend to have sensitive skin, so I generally carry a tube of Betamethasone.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: jelly fish

whats the best way to remove a sea urchin quill?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: jelly fish

my daughter Torie got stung on the trip we took..once we got off the boat, the bartender poured some overproof rum on it, and she took a shot, just to be on the safe side..didn't help the pain, but did give her a heckuva buzz, between that and the benadryl I gave her, lol.

I will see tiny little jellyfish, but do my best to stay clear of them or swim away from them when snorkeling.

Also, when we got to our room, the mananger, Francine, saw Torie's welts, and immediately gave us an aloe vera branch to apply to it.