We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Our 12 year old just completed her PADI referral course and will be doing her open water dives to complete her Junior Certification in Jamaica. For the next few years she will likely just be diving in tropical climates - I would think mainly off of carribean islands. We are trying to decide what type of wetsuit to get her - long or short. My husband thinks short but he is ALWAYS warm (he dove in the Cenotes in Mexico in his shorty and was totally fine) - so, I am thinking he may not know how cold some of us women can get :)

So, I thought I would throw it out here and see what type of. Even though she is 12 she got my genes and is pretty much full grown (looks more like a 16 year old for height). I don't dive so I can't offer any sort of insight on this.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks! Too cold.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Tropical water is generally in the 82F to 86F, so, for me, a wetsuit is overkill. During the summer months, I dive in a full body lycra suit and sometimes wear a t-shirt under it. In the winter months, I dive in a 0.5mil full body suit.

I prefer full body for the protection it provides in case I get pushed (by a novice diver) into sharp and/or stinging coral.

Having said that, I have seen tropical divers wearing a 2/3mil shorty (3mil for the body and 2mil for the arms).

In the final analysis, it is your daughter that knows best how her body adjusts to diving in water that is below human body temp. Only she knows if she gets too cold on a 25 minute dive in 85F water.

AAS
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
395 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Personally I just go in a dive skin no wet suit - only occasionally have I been chilly but never cold.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

My wife and I have short style 3mm wetsuits, and only dive in the Caribbean. We've frequently found ourselves a little cool after diving. I'm generally warm and my wife has the cold fingers, toes and nose issues. We've had other divers tell us that they prefer full length suites for safety reasons.

Byron, Georgia
Level Contributor
29 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

I will definetly recomend full body wet suit. 2/3 or 3 and even gloves. With her being newly certified, trying to adjust to salt water buoyancy and most diving sites will be to coral reefs,( caverns, arches) I would bring her full body one untill she is comfortable enough in water. My husband is Advanced diver but stumbled on reef while looking for me and cut his thumb bad enough that even after two weeks it is still not healed. I had encounter with jelly fish while doing safety stop during day and thankfully I had full body suit so i ended with one slash across my ankle. Girl we were diving with went on a night dive and was in a tshirt and ended up with five or six jelly fish whips right across her arm. And of course I have to mention our instructor, he got stung early morning while swimming on the beach. I would get it for her more for protection. I dont know where you staying but some places the wet suits are included in the rate and some places you have to pay to rent them ($10/day?) Some might argue the fact that wearing gloves will make her more curious and she might end up touching lots of stuff she shouldnt be (some dive centers might not allow gloves because of this) so you might try no gloves first and see how she does. Have lots of fun diving!! Just to mention few, we saw dolphins, octopus and lobsters in Jamaica. She will love it!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Thanks for the tips - I think that definately due to the safety factor alone I will push the long suit. This year she will be diving in MoBay - next year it will either be Negril or possibly Turks and Caicos. Cheers!

Edited: 21 October 2013, 14:08
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Although I am not a diver (unfortunately) I do snorkel and recommend Safe Sea to avoid problems with jelly fish. Then you should be able to wear a short suit. I rarely see anyone in Jamaica wearing a full suit when I check out the Padi boats loading up or returning.

http://www.buysafesea.com/

Edited: 21 October 2013, 14:34
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

Thanks for the tip BP. Have you ever been stung and needed to use this? Just wondering how well it eases the sting? I would say when I am waiting for my husband to come off the boats it is typically 50/50 long and shorts.

On that - just want to say that after seeing the training and care that goes into taking the PADI referral course, I would recommend to anyone even considering scuba at a resort not to take the resort course and get certified. I never went and watched my husband when he was doing the referral course before certification, but of course, went and watched my daughter. For the safety alone and what you learn, I would recommend full ceritification and NOT resort courses (of course that is a mom watching her "baby").

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

I've been stung but did not have Safe Sea. I did not even know about it at the time. The product I am suggesting you use is the one you apply before going in to help avoid being stung.

AAS
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
395 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

I was stung for the first time ever this year getting onto the dive boat - it hurt a bit but honestly by the time we made it back to the resort and I was able to get to the nurses station the bite was gone. She did put something on it and it felt fine afterwards.

10. Re: Scuba in Jamaica - Wetsuit Question for the Ladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 00:17