We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
7 posts
Save Topic
Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

Anyone have any ideas what is the cheapest way to get from Negril to Kingston RT? we need to get in on the 13th of July and return the afternoon of the 14th. Was thinking just taking the route - but maybe a private transfer would be better if we can find something affordable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

As far as i know, this cannot be done cheaply and comfortably... You'll need to sacrifice one for the other... If you want to go cheap, youd be talking about the public bus... you're likely looking at a 6-7 hour trip possibly sitting on someone elses lap, let's hope they have the same idea of hygiene as you since air conditioning won't be an option... And luggage might not be possible/advisable, especially if you cannot blend in with the locals... This would cost you less than 25 US pp return last I checked...

If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you're looking at between 400 and 500US return for the trip which is 4-5 hours direct each way...

This is why most book flights to/from Montego bay for their Negril stays...

Sorry!

Chelle

Denver, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

Thank you Chelle!

I was told maybe we could get a ride to Mobay and take the Knutsford Express into Kingston. Can you tell me more about that? Does it leave at certain times (someone said twice a day) and that we'd just have to find our way from where the Express drops us off to our hotel- Liginea Club

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

knutsfordexpress.com has the schedule - probably $40 pp RT for taxi from Negril to moBay and then the bus.

United States
Level Contributor
11,093 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

For this trip i would take JUTA from Negril to Montego Bay for about $US20. They can let you off in downtown Montego Bay and then it is a short walk to where you can take the bus to Kingston for about $J2200. See the following for bus information

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140533/Jamai…

The bus has a fixed schedule. The number of times the bus runs per day and the times can change by the day of the week so you need to go to their web site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

knutsford schedule is quite limited and the trip from kgn to mobay is 4+ hours.. then add another 1.5 hours to get to Negril and without considering in time to get from the bus to the van, well you're probably looking at 6+ hours as well... (if you need to be in kingston by early afternoon on the 14th (i.e. before 1ish pm) you will need to leave Negril at around 3:30am to make this happen)

if you can make the schedules work, i'd suggest seeing if clives would pick you up directly from the knutsford stop in mobay rather than trying to make your way to the aiport for a shared pickup... if it doesnt look like that trip will overly full, he might accomodate...it's not like it's really out of the way...

all and all i think what you're looking to do, without your own transportation, is ambitious at best... IMO Negril is too far to try to get there and back for one night unless you have a door to door transport... but that's just me :)

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

and i'm reversing this thinking you are in kingston and need to be in Negril... same principles apply tho! sorry!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

(btw downtown to where knutsford lets off isn't really a short walk... it's about a 5ish minute drive... never walked it, but based on driving time, i'd not call it short)...

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

Clives actually offers the ride to the Knutsford in MoBay from Negril for the same price as to the airport, $20pp. So that, plus about $20 for the bus, is $40pp, one way.

I think i put RT on my previous post, didn't mean to.

If the schedule works, it's a lot cheaper than a private ride.

You can walk to the Liguanea Club from the Knutsford, too as it is basically across the street, no need for a taxi on the Kingston end.

Denver, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

Thank you everyone!!!! Good to know we can just walk to the hotel from the Knutsford! That saves us time and transportation issues! Glad I checked with you all.

10. Re: Inexpensive transportation to Kton from Negril RT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:19