We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Hi there,

My husband and I are considering a quick trip to Jamaica at the start of November as we'll be in Miami for week and figure another 5 days in the caribbean wouldn't go amiss :)

This is the second time I would have been and I previously stayed in Negril so have been considering switching it up this time. We're a young couple and like to have options for nightlife and activities during the day (rather than just laying on a beach the whole time).

Which of the two would you suggest between Ochi and MoBay or neither and just go back to Negril. My worry with Negril was that the nightlife options were EXTREMELY limited and there wasn't much by way of day excursions to do that don't involve long drives/travel times.

Also since it's low season and I assume fewer people there than usual we'd like to be in the place that's the most bustling.

Any advice much appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
186 reviews
1. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

If beaches are for you I would stick with Negril. We like Ocho Rios over MB. Check out Jewel Dunn's River resort.

United States
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

To see a selection of sights I would go to Ocho Rios. However, nightlife options are better in Montego Bay.

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
780 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Between the two I would opt for MB. For starters the trip to Ochi is at a minimum 90 minutes and that is without a stop which will probably happen. Also on your departure day you will leave Ochi so that you arrive at the airport three hours before your flight so you have to had 90 minutes to maybe two hours to that.

We never visited Ocho Rios at night, our resort always had things going on, so I can't give input on that but MB is very active pretty much day and night if your resort/hotel does not have enough things for you to do.

What type of accommodations are you planning. There is a wide variety of choices.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
4. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Things in Ochi are more specific to resorts; minimal bars outside; no miles if beachfront to walk...excursions nearby but the druve to excursions from Negril is worth both the drive & location s

Mobay is a sml port city. Most nightlife outside of resorts are club venues /techno scene -city stuff. Excursions to Ochi or Negril or YSFALLS are at least 90+min other than Falmouth bamboo rafting down the Martha Brae and Glistening Waters (35min)

Not sure where in Negril ypu stayed but bars, restaurants, afternoon beach fun & live music, nightlife from top Reggae shows to local performers to dance venues to club scene. .or chill vibes are what make up Negril. You can get busy in tge mix or chill out under the stars or anything in between.

Great excursions near & far from half moon beach and the bar / restaurant Calico Jacks (25min) The Blue Hole in Brighton (20min) Peter Tosh's garden/Bluefield beach (30min) YSFALLS (1.5?) Add Pelican Bar / Black River. ..

Look at Jewel Dunns River, The Jamaica Inn, Sea Garden, Royal Decameron Cornwall beach, Altamont West, Treehouse, Coco LaPalm, Couples Swept Away, Zanzi, Bar-b-barn, Idle Awhile villas for a range of properties in each location

PEACE!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
1 review
5. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Add Jewel Paradise Cove to the lost

PEACE!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
396 posts
1 review
6. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Ocho Rios is the better option of the two. You have so many excursions in Ochi you will never get bored a 5 to 30 mins. taxi ride to most of the fun filled attractions such as Dunns Falls, Blue Hole Ocho Rios, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, Konoko Falls Park, horseback riding, atv ride etc. For nightlife/clubbing Margarittaville, Amnesia nightclub, Ocean's Eleven, Priory beach party, Shades nightclub, John crow's Tavern etc.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
182 reviews
7. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Hello,

Even though it takes about 1 1/2 hours to drive to Ochi from Mobay,

it is still worth it.

I've stayed there 4 times. You don't mention your budget.

For the epitome of understated luxury and calm, with a gorgeous beach, pick Jamaica Inn.

couples Tower Isle is pretty, but can attract a rowdy clientele. anyway, it was like that when

we were there.

Couples Sans Souci ans a gorgeous beach, but the rooms are seriously in need of a rehab.

Definitely, Ocho Ríos (andI have been to Mobay 3 times.)

Cheers,

Katherine

Middletown, Ohio
Level Contributor
657 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

I've been to both, Mobay has the better nightlife, but Ochie is beautiful. I suggest you stay in Mobay this trip, and plan on going to Ocho Rios in the future. When you go, I would second katherineincanaada's suggestion of Couples San Soucie, It's a beautiful resort, and the one bedroom beachfront suite was recently remodeled. To be honest, there isn't a lot of nightlife to be had at CSS, but it does have a lovely au natural beach complete with pool.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
182 reviews
9. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Hi,

I read your suggestion of Jewel Paradise Cove in Ochi.

We are spending one night at the newly opened Jewel

property in Mobay, Before we head to Hermosa Cove in Ochi.

What did you like about Jewel Paradise Cove?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay

Jewel Paradise Cove is located in Runaway Bay. I visited the resort went it was managed by SuperClubs. I liked that it had a set of rooms that overlooked the Sea front, a nightclub, a piano bar, spa, gym, several a la carte eateries, excellent watersports.

wikimapia.org/…b

Edited: 21 May 2018, 22:00
Reply to: Ocho Rios vs Montego Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted