We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Season

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy Season

I was reading on a website that Jamaica has two rainy seasons May-June and September-November. How true is this?

I was really planning on booking a trip (May 24-28) to IRH Suites and I am fearful that it will rain for our entire visit. I would hate to book day trips/excursions and it's raining. Would it be best to wait and book our activities once we arrive?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Season

Rainy season is in fact May to November actually....with Hurricane season July, Aug, Sept, Oct. Nov.

I've been to Jamaica dozens of times in May. I like it. When it calls for rain it usually means rain for some period of time somewhere on the island.

May you usually get 1/2 hour rain in the afternoon.

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Season

We always travel in May and October. Never had a full day of rain yet and we go for 2 weeks at a time. We get an afternoon rain at times, but usually that is when we go to our room and get ready to go to the bar for a few drinks before we have dinner.

Afew times I stayed in the rain when I saw the clouds were quickly passing by.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Season

we've been to Jamaica in October and usually has a quick rainshower in the afternoon then clears up and becomes sunny again.

We just returned from Montego Bay 2 weeks ago and there was a "cold front"- it was quite chilly and windy in the evenings.

Glad you posted this topic because I am going to book another trip to Jamaica- either at one of the SANDALS in Mobay( we loved it) or one of the Iberostar's.Since it will be hurricane/rainy season, our strategy is to book as last minute as possible. We track the weather closely on the National Hurricane Center site and they predict usually within 1 wk if a hurricane is heading towards a certain location and on what day. Since my BF and I can take off from work whenever we like, we will book as last minute as 1 week before we leave to a couple of days before.

Also we are always aware that during rainy/hurricane season, we may be faced with cloudy skies or rain showers.

Edited: 23 March 2010, 22:31
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Season

I would never, under any circumstances, make a vacation decision based on weather forecasts - no matter how close it was to the date.

The forecasts for Jamaica are terrible. Even worse, they apply localized (bad) weather forecasts to areas that are miles and miles away. The weather moves quickly in Jamaica and it can literally be pouring a mile away from bright sunshine.

5. Re: Rainy Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2010, 01:16