We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bradley Beach, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

Hi,

I have an unlocked quadband gsm phone (it's your basic motorola v195) and will be staying at secrets st. james resort in montego bay sometime during july.

I noticed that there are three different cell wireless companies in jamaica..

Claro, Digicel, and Lime.

I really would rather go with the cheaper option unless wireless coverage is an issue in which case i dont mind paying a premium.

As of right now (due to price) I'm thinking of going with claro because (if i'm reading this right at http://claro.com.jm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=83.) it looks like they charge J$17.50 for a 10 minute call to the united states when using their up to diminute prepaid plan.

According to digiceljamaica.com/en/…flex_tariffs Digicel charges J$17.75 per minute which is more

I dont really understand the plans that limetime has at time4lime.com/jm/personal/mobile/plans.jsp so I cant comment on that (if i'm reading it right, 150 minutes to the us works out to J$18.55 per min).

The thing that concerns me is that there doesnt appear to be a cellphone store located within the sangster airport (or at least none that i could see at their official website here www.mbjairport.com/English/Shopping.aspx ). This means that I'll probably have to get a taxi from the resort to the town. Does anybody know what the taxi rates are like? The resort seems rather isolated so I hope it's not alot.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 16:42
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

Has to be digicel..... You can buy Digi credit anywhere, and the coverage is the best.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

agreed. Claro signal is spotty at best.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

I would agree to go with the Digicel, based on service and coverage - the few cents you save per call isn't worth the hassle of losing reception.

Favre - I used my Verizon phone once years back - a few brief calls, I had a $60.00 bill when I got home - That $1.99 a minute doesn't show you the roaming rates, etc.... Way cheaper to get a local phone, if you need to make calls.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

in montego bay and most costal tourist areas signal will not be an issue with any of the providers... they all have the populated/popular areas well covered... getting deep into the country digicel does a better job b/c claro is 3G and when the mountains block the signal you loose it completely until you jump onto the edge network... so you will have dropped calls in the country... it's not that you get no signal, it's just that you flip back and forth a lot in the interior... i had only a few places wehre i got no signal with claro... digicel may verywell see the same issues when they go to 4G (supposedly this year)

if you want inet options, claro is currently far superior... not sure if that phone is one that is overly networthy tho :)

JAS has broken it down nicely... if you need to make short calls to one international number, go wtih Claro... you can make unlimited 5min calls to one number

if you want to make long calls or will be calling a number of people overseas, the digicel international plan is the best/most popular (bring ID to buy a digicel SIM)... it's 1000 min for 1000J + tax (as JAS has said)

both claro and digicel retailers are equally as easy to find... Claro's marketing strategy is to basically set up shop as directly close to as many digicel spots as possible, so it's pretty hard these days to find one without the other... it's slightly easier to find digicel credit resellers (something you likely won't need if you're going with the international plan and not making local calls), but even that is quickly becoming a non-isssue as Claro keeps expanding...

enjoy

Chelle

Bradley Beach, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

do you know if i can buy a digicel sim chip at the airport? or will i have to go into town?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

the digicel kiosk is closed at the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

We have bought a place near MoBay. If we want to buy a cell phone to use in Jamaica to make international calls to Canada and local JA calls , would you still recommend Digicel?Do we need to buy a phone from Digicel? Can you just buy a SIM card for an existing cell phone? My spouse has a regular cell phone on the Rogers Canada network + I have a blackberry on the Bell Canada network but don't want to touch my SIM card as I will lose contact info if I remove it-could we change my spouse's cell phone SIM card or should we buy a Jamaican phone? thanks

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

I don't suggest using your own phone, prices are very high. I personally bought a cheap phone the first time i visited, got a sim card and use digicel.

Now, before i go back, I "top it up" online before i leave http://www.digiceljamaica.com (although there are many places you can top it up when you get there, but i find to just easier to handle before i leave).

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

Hi all!

A couple of years ago I purchased a Digicel basic phone at the Digicel store right on the Hip Strip near the craft market. It cost me around $40 for the phone, sim card and some JA credit. I use the phone every time I go to Jamaica. I can purchase international credit at the hotel, the Digicel store, or the grocery store ~ $16 US for 1000 minutes. There are no extra surcharges rounding charges, etc., 1000 minutes to US, Canada or England. I usually pass it around to other guests to call home just because I could never use that many in a week, but what a deal! People don't believe that I'm calling from Jamaica because the connections are so good.

So, my vote is with Digicel! :)

jadelight

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: claro, digicel, or lime? + where to buy?

By the way, you can "top up" online before you go with Jamaican credit, which you would use for texting or calls within Jamaica. International phone minutes have to be added in Jamaica.