We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Timmins, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Hi Fellow Travellers,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Hubby and I are going to Sandals Montego Bay for the first time and wanted to know if we can tip our housekeeper. I've read on the official Sandals site that tipping is not allowed but wasn't sure if thisalso applied to gifts from home such as clothing, toiletries, etc... or just to giving monetary gifts. We would not want to upset or get anyone into trouble.

Thanks,

Excited Travellers :).

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

There have been many different posts about tipping at Sandals. The policy is very clear with Sandals, NO tipping allowed. Any staff member caught accepting a tip is subject to being fired. The only exception is your butler, if you have one. Otherwise, please don't jepordize someones job.

Not sure about the non-cash items.

Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

also to the original poster, if you type in tipping and sandals in the search button above on this page,, this discussion has been talked about to death! ;)

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

It is okay to leave small gifts for them. Please be sure to leave a note with the gift detailing what the gift is, who it is for, your name, and your room number. This way the staff member(s) will have proof if questioned about the items in their possession. You can also write a note to the hotel/general managers complimenting the staff person for their outstanding service.

But as stated, please do not give cash. We know of staff members fired for accepting tips. Spa staff can also receive tips, which can be added on to your bill after your massage, etc.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Opps, forgot about the SPA. Butlers and SPA are the only exceptions. Thanks winnekini.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Hi Krisf:

Tipping is something that everyone has some issues with. We have been going to Sandals, Couples and most all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica and we ALWAYS tip the person who carrys our luggage to room, the person who cleans our room everyday and the odd pedrson who goes out of their way and goes beyond the call of duty for us. We do it discreetly and do not talk about it when at the resort.

WE never tip bartenders, wait staff in the restaurants,etc!

This is just us.

Have a great day:

PA
Level Contributor
492 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

I know you can tip the butlers, but what about the concierge?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,198 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

NO tipping for concierge (butler and SPA only). Beyond that I would never risk a workers livelihood over a tip, even discreetly.

PA
Level Contributor
492 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
181 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

I have just returned fro Sandals Mobay where tipping in the bar was very evident and regular , not sure about restaurants and elsewhere but the workers didnt seem to have any issues with accepting them either !! They were some of the best staff I have ever encountered so maybe everyone felt the same !!!!

Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

rules or no rules, people aren't perfect, and for whatever reason felt the need to tip, and why the tips were accepted would then fall on that employee should they be terminated no?