We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money!

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money!

How much cash do I need for a week? I don't plan on doing more than 2 daytrips, just want the beach time!! thanks everyone!

United States
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money!

The amount of cash you need depends on where you are staying in Jamaica and how you booked your trip (you do not tell us about either of the two). The answer may be as little as zero (no cash) or it could be a lot more. On my last one week trip to Jamaica I overspent. I took a $20 bill and came home with some of it still in my pocket. However, you should bring your Scotia Bank debit card to pay for the trips.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money!

Its hard to give you a definitive answer with so little information

What do you mean by day trips...do you mean excursions? If so you can easily look and even book your excursion ahead of time so you know exactly how much money to bring or if you purchase it ahead of time you can rest easy knowing its paid for. The excursion costs vary from company to company and depending on what you want to do.

If you mean just shopping trips into town, then that would depend on how much you wish to spend and how much room you have in your bags for more stuff.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money!

We are staying at Breezes Trelawny. My friend has been to Jamaica before and been on several adventures! I have a big weakness for souveneirs and would love a painting. Our last trip was to Cuba, not much to buy, but spent a lot on tipping. I have a US account so I can easily bring US cash. Thank you both!

United States
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money!

An answer is still hard to give you but here is a go.

1 - In Cuba you "spent a lot on tipping". You also say you are staying at Breezes Trelawny. Tip the bus driver to/from the resort (the driver is not an employee of the hotel). Breezes has a very strict NO tip policy for its employees. Plan on not tipping anyone at the hotel lest they get fired for taking it.

2 - "I have a big weekness for souveneirs". There are lots of places to sell you these, for example at the top of Dunn's River Falls. Give yourself a budget, take that amount of cash, and then bargin hard with the vendors to get the best deal.

3 - "would love a painting". Street painters can be found all in all of the tourist areas and will often sell works in the $US35 to $US50 range. However, I know a well known artist who has nothing in his studio under $US500 (and most is much higher). Again I would decide on a price point and take cash in that amount.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money!

thevinnie, thanks for all the info especially about Breezes! You can't tip the maid?? I have another question, are the beach vendors as bad as is Mexico or more like Cuba? Thanks once again!

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money!

If your resort has a strict no tipping policy then any staff member caught with money they are not supposed to have can be fired because its considered stealing. The best suggestion to show your appreciation is by speaking with a manager first about leaving a gift for a staff member and make sure it is done in front of the manager and everything is ok. OR you can show appreciation by completing a review or leaving a note which will still get that employee recognized. Do not put a staff members career on the line by trying to tip in a no tipping resort.

Vendors in jamaica are pretty aggressive. The ironic thing is that if someone ever actually taught them how to be a salesman and how to close sales they would do much better. the accosting nature of their approach can loose more sales then they gain. But not every vendor is the same and you have to remember the country they live in and its a different environment. If you are not interested in something just say no thank you and move on.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money!

Tipping at Breezes Trelawny is open, prevalent and while not expected by the employees is much deserved by some.

I have been on 6 Breezes vacations to 3 properties, with day passes to 3 other Breezes' locations. Each and everyone tipping was done openly by many.

Tipping at the airport is usually $1 per bag minimum, then you will be asked to tip the driver to the resort. Depending on the number of people on the bus we will tip anywhere from $5-$20.00.

We tip the housekeeping staff $3.00 per day, bartenders $1.00 per drink every few rounds, servers at a sit down dinner $5.00 or so pp depending on quality of service received, servers at a buffet $1-$2 depending upon amount of service received. We also try to recognize the common area housekeeping staff, back of house people, gardeners etc whenever we have the opportunity. The strong suit of BT IS some of their long term employees.

I am looking at a beautiful painting we purchased while at BT last time. It is an ocean scent with Dolphins, coral & angel fish about 30" x 24". The price started out around $100.00. With some haggling we paid $30ish.

Hematite necklaces can be had for $10.00 or under, T-shirts anywhere from $25.00 to 3 for $10.00, depending on quality. Magnets $3.00, wood carvings $10.00 to hundred's depending on size and quality. The key is to have fun, make offers that are fair to the vendor and to you.

If you really want something, offer what you are willing to pay. The vendor will either accept it of not. If they say no, WALK AWAY! 9 out of 10 times they will come running after you. With the new cruise ship port try to go shopping when there is not a ship docked. The vendors are not willing to haggle as much when the ships are docked. Once the ship leaves they are more willing to go down in price.

Those palm leaf hats you see vendors making on the beach.....SOME custom's officials will not allow them back into the USA, especially if they look all nice and green. Best thing to do is try and pack it in your luggage so they do not see it.

The luminous Lagoon trip is $15.00 PP from the resort and you really should not miss doing this!

Dunns River Falls entry fee I think is something like $20.00 PP. I would suggest you use Devon Hyman as your driver. His number in Jamaica is 876-776-1087. His niece is Tracy Ann a bartender at BT,

Martha Brae River Rafting is $30.00 PP and is another WONDERFUL thing to see and do. Once again I would use Devon.

Outameni Museum is a great culture experience where they do live reenactments of events in Jamaica history. This is located across the street and down a bit from the resort. It used to be free but donations are accepted. Not sure if it is still set up like this or not. Worth checking out!

On Wednesdays you have The "Bend Down" Market. This is a large flea market where the locals shop. Lots of vendors where you can find just about anything and everything. Not really a tourist affair but everyone is welcome. We never miss going when we are in the area.

Hope this helps some.

Edited: 19 February 2012, 16:32
Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money!

Thank you again! Frodo, is the Outameni and the Bend Down market near the resort? Both sound interesting. Pretty sure my friend has been to Dunns Falls - she'd really like someone to golf with! I started packing today and am getting pretty excited!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money!

Outameni is within walking distance from BT.

You would have to take a cab to the market. It is in the heart of Falmouth.

Another great thing to do that is a bit less touristy would be Enchanted Gardens. www.ecotoursja.com

Cannot help you with golfing other then there is a course in Runaway Bay.

The mini-golf course on the property is fun ;-) Try using a Mango instead of a ball........loads of fun!

10. Re: Spending money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 05:37