We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit/credit cards

Jacksonville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Debit/credit cards

This might be a dumb question but we're going to IRHB in July and I'm wondering if while booking excursions from the hotel if we are ale to use our debit/credit cards that are attached to US banks without having to change any type of currency??

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit/credit cards

See the following

bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/latest-cur…

This is a multi-screen discussion. You need your card and read all of the screens. You may also need to call the company that issued your card.

Jacksonville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit/credit cards

Thank you!

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit/credit cards

At most properties we've been too, they want a credit card tied to your room upon check in...any charges are in US dollars so there isn't any conversion. I haven't seen any extra charges on our statements either...i do call my bank ahead of time to make them aware to approve charges from JA during the dates i give them...never a problem

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit/credit cards

ally, as has been said notify tour bank you will be in Jamaica so that charges and ATM transactions are approved. Go frogs!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit/credit cards

Notify your bank so they don't stop your transactions. Also ask them what their conversion fee is. Ours charges a flat $5 oversees for atm withdrawls and 3% conversion fee on any atm withdrawl and transaction in anything other the US. Not cheap!

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit/credit cards

Many brokerage firms offer debit/credit cards that are fee free when used for international purchases and cash withdrawals.

One rule of thumb that I ALWAYS follow- NEVER use your debit card for purchases outside the US, only for ATM cash withdrawals. A debit card does not have the same fraud and purchase protections that nearly all credit cards offer. Its just one little bit of protection to avoid potentially huge problems.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit/credit cards

100% agree with HuskerBadger- fraud dispute laws don't protect debit cards the same way a card would. Amex has the best dispute process in my opinion from having one and having worked there. Either way, avoid using your debit for actual purchases!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit/credit cards

Plan to use my Capitol One card since they do not charge international exchange fees.

Jacksonville, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit/credit cards

Thanks for all the responses! We plan on being as simple as possible and just taking US money in cash with us for things like small shopping trips and tipping. But as far as booking excursions through the hotel, I want to just swipe my debit card directly. As long as I'm buying the trips and they're in US dollars it should all be pretty straightforward? I def will call our bank though to let them know to expect those charges.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
675 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debit/credit cards

When you call to advise them of possible foreing charges, make sure to ask what their conversion fee is. You will be charged one even if the prices are listed in US dollars. In my experience, when swiped, the swipe for their currency. Regardless, I would try to limit or eliminate debit purchases. If you must, swipe only at the hotel. Restaurants and excursions (anywhere not just JA) can have questionable employees and you're just increasing the risk of fraud. Having your debit card cleared and having to file a fraud dispute is bad enough here, less alone while you're on vacation. If you really want to swipe, get a prepaid card and load it with an amount you're willing to lose.