We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Had a pretty good time. Traveled 6/23-30 with 8 adults and 6 children. The resort is a good choice for families with small children, particularly pre-teens to younger. The resort was in better shape than I expected. Food better than expected, but was not expecting a lot to begin with. Pools were great. Beach is just OK, but we knew that going in. Room was plain, but in good working order. Our group was in the Beachfront Cabanas and Waterpark View rooms. Our biggest problems were with the near constant waiting in line. That's disappointing because it can be easily solved by hiring a few more people in key areas.

I'll be trying to write a full review in the next few days. If you are planning to be there, or are considering this resort, I'll try to answer any detail questions you may have.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Yes, the snorkel equipment is included, as are towels. But the resort snorkel equipment is just for the guided trip. I would suggest bringing your own snorkel, just so you can do some snorkeling any time you like.

No one in our group used the spa, so I can't help you there.

Your cell phone may work, but it may also be very expensive. There are a lot of threads in the forum on this topic. One solution I have read is to get local cell phone for cheap. Many of the drivers can supply these.

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

I have the spa menu and contact info....I will post the email address

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Here is the spa contact. If you want the menu, let me know I can email it to you.

sbrspa@sunsetresortsjm.com

Brooklyn, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

I would appreciate receiving the spa menu can you send to mysteriouslady62@yahoo.com

I am going in 2weeks for my daughters destination wedding. Needless to say, we have had nothing but aggravation since Good Friday when one of my guests received a phone call that the original resort will be closed. They did not even contact the bride first we heard it through the grapevine it has been an awful experience to say the least. so it has been an ongoing struggle since April 2012 of going back and forth for resolution between the two resorts. I am going with an open mind and not expecting the Ritz as most posts state. I am hoping her wedding will turn out to be beautiful and would appreciate any tips any one can offer regarding restaurants and activities on the premises or excursions. I have been to Negril several times in my younger years and loved it yes their beaches are gorgeous but because there are children attending, we couldnt stay at the resort offered to be transferred to, I was very disappointed. This will be my first time in Montego Bay hope I like it as much. Has anyone stayed in courtyard rooms? does any one have pictures? I cant get a straight answer weather I am facing the lawn or the ocean but know I am staying in the east wing. My daughter and fiance staying in a cabana again cant get a straight answer whether ocean view or garden. If anyone has pictures of either room categories I would appreciate if you could forward as they really dont advertise either one. If any one has had a wedding hosted at Sunset Beach, MB I would appreciate hearing feedback and/or advise on what to request what to expect. They use an outsource service and honestly they are so disorganized i dont know how they remain in business. Havent been able to talk to an onsite wedding planner yet and I am arriving July 21 and my daughter's wedding is scheduled for July 24. I will welcome any info any one can send me.

Oh I almost forgot, has anyone used their beauty parlor facilities? interested in knowing if they are up to date with hair styles and if you were pleased with the work, as well as if it is worth paying for make up or just doing it yourself. I cant get a phone number or contact from any one on site to ask questions and would like to know whether my daughter should invest in having hair and makeup done day of her wedding. I couldnt even get a picture of options of what her bouquet would look like or what her wedding cake will look like and how many it will feed. I feel as if I am in for a trap that will take me for broke! so any help /info would be appreciated as well........yeh I know I'm screwed hahaha I just keep praying that there will be a silver lining and God will see to it that my baby girl has wedding of her dreams. Take care and thanks

Krys

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

I sent the spa menu to you. Were you at Breezes before they closed? I think the wedding will be fine. I suggest you take photos of what you want your hair to look like. I don't know about the wedding outsourcing thing. Have you tried calling the hotel directly to get some of your questions answered. In the email I forwarded, it has a contact that you can call directly. Look at bestdestinationweddings.com, if you want to see pictures of past weddings there.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Krys G, the cabana rooms are all beachfront rooms. These rooms are in 2 L shaped buildings (east and west). One leg of the L faces the beach, the other leg runs perpendicular to the beach. The cabana rooms are in the leg that faces the beach. The ones that do not face the beach are known as waterpark rooms on the Sunset Beach web site. I assume those are the courtyard rooms you refer to. The rooms in the west building will open to the water park on one side and a very nice courtyard on the other. The east rooms are on the other side of the courtyard and the other side opens to another lawn area. You can see the water from many of these rooms, particularly the second floor rooms, but they are not beachfront.

I'll try to send you some pictures of the rooms to the email address in your post.

We did not do a wedding, but did do a vow renewal. The onsite wedding coordinator, Tanesha, was very good. We also arrived on a Saturday for a Tuesday ceremony. We were not able to meet with Tanesha until Monday. I suggest you start trying to contact her as soon as you check in.

Can't help you with the beauty parlor thing. We did not use any of those services.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

The spa was excellent. We did a couples massage on the beach at sunset.

Brooklyn, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Just got back stayed July 21 - July 28. Daughter's wedding was beautiful and I enjoyed my stay at resort. Mark and Michael thank you so much for all the info you sent me was very useful and helpful.

If any one has questions, feel free to ask

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

I just thought about you the other day and I wondered how your trip went. I'm happy to hear you had a good time and things worked out for the wedding.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just back from Sunset Beach, MB. Any questions?

Has anyone ventured over to the au natural beach there. Just curious. Is it pretty far out from everything? How close is it to a bar, food or bathroom? We are headed to SSBR end of next month. Not sure if we will venture to that beach or not!! Any other tips for the resort in general? No need for Jamaica tips in general as we have been to the Island many times but first trip to SSBR