We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Is there bus / minibus form around Holiday Inn to Dunns River Falls, YS falls, Glistening Waters ?

What is the cost and travel time if anybody used bus / minibus?

Where to catch them?

I did the search and it seems that most people go with excursions (that are overpriced by default) or use taxi, which probably would cost about the same with entrance fees.

We are traveling as family of 4 (2 adults and 2 school age kids).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

You're going to want to hire a driver, sorry. There is a bus, the Knutsford Express that goes from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. However, it won't drop you off near Dunn's River, so you'll have to take a taxi anyways.

What do you mean by excursions that are overpriced by default?

And I appreciate you wanting to save money, but especially travelling with kids, just hire a driver for the day (or days) and go do what you want to do.

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Is there bus / minibus form around Holiday Inn to Dunns River Falls, YS falls, Glistening Waters ?

Buses leave about every hour or so.

Cost is about um, JA$400. About hour and a half to get to Ocho Rios town.

You can go to the Bus Park or catch them along the roads. Better to go to the bus park sometimes so you get a good seat and hopefully it won't be overpacked.

If you want a good price all around it's best to get a private driver. They can take you to Ochi and all around to the excursions you want. You just have to do some good negotiating. I was able to get a good deal of $300 for 3 adults door to door to excursions around Kingston. Never took the tour, because the hurricane happened, but would be cheaper from Mobay to Ochi. Would be better for the kids so they know what's going on instead of having to hassle with the local buses.

Knutsford Express is about $20US per person each way Moby to OchI and then you would get a taxi to Dunns River and you can do what you like keeping in mind the Knutsford schedule. I think the last bus from Ochi leaves about 5pm to Mobay..

Knutsford is a charter bus, not a public bus, so it will be pleasant trip. No overcrowding.

http://www.knutsfordexpress.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Thanks. We will check it out.

Do you know if there are buses to YS falls and Glistening Waters too?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Alodin, I'd recommend just hiring a driver. You'll save yourself the headache in the long run, especially if you are traveling with children. If it was just yourself, I'd tell you to go for it, use the local transportation. But I wouldn't recommend it on your first trip and with kids.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Thanks, Anod1. Our kids are experienced travelers. In fact they had more flights and visited more countries by now than I by my 24th birthday. So. it's really not a concern. Two years ago we did the same thing with them traveling from Varadero to Havana (Cuba) and few times across Havana on public buses in 2 days we stayed there and returned to our resort afterwards. Last year we covered 4 European countries in 26 days. Kids were just fine. And they are older now. :-)

Thing is we dont like to seat behind hotel walls for weeks. We want to travel and see things, but taxi is expensive way of transportation and 5-6 excursions can really add up. Lets say it's $160-170 (is it one way or round trip - not sure), plus attraction entrance fees, food. We are looking at $300 cost. Add 5-6 of these and it's 1500-1800. It's way more that we expect to spend on sightseeing.

For that price tag you almost can have another vacation for 4.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

I definitely agree on the price. And I definitely agree on getting out from the walls of the resort.

However, Jamaica isn't really the mecca of public transportation. And even JB said "If you want a good price all around it's best to get a private driver".

You quoted $160-$170 for a private driver. That would be the price for the day. Taking the bus, you are still going to be taking taxi's. And you will be on the buses schedule. The price of the excursions isn't going to change regardless of what mode you chose to get there.

Taking the bus is an option, I just don't think it's as easy an option as it might seem. That's all. Not trying to push a private driver on you. Just don't want you thinking there is a public transportation system where you can just go hop on a bus and go.

United States
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Do leave your resort and see the island. Public transportation other than taxies is in short supply in most parts of Jamaica. I agree that for a group of four chartering a taxi for the day is probably the best idea to see the sights if you do not want a group tour.

A minibus to Dunns River Falls is a possible option as it is on the way to Ocho Rios but I rate a private taxi as a better idea. See also the following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwmc1M7t2M

Edited: 14 November 2012, 16:49
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

With 4 people you may not save much by taking Knutsford over hiring a taxi since, as has been pointed out, you still have to take a taxi to the bus and then again from it to the falls.

From Montego Bay Glistening Waters ins on the way to (or better, back, when it's dark) from Ocho Rios.

So you can get a taxi to pick you up, take you to Dunns, stop along the way if you like, then take you to Glistening Waters and on back to your hotel. One taxi driver can do this, and wait for you while you're doing things, and it's not going to cost a whole lot more than taking the Knutsford + taxis to these places.

You can take a public bus and that will be cheapest, and all these places are along the main north coast highway so probably the best ones you'll find to take public transport to. But there's no schedule and it will be crowded. You are hardly likely to all get seats if you flag it down on the road, nevermind 4 together. If you go to the bus park you can but you'll have to wait for the bus to fill. I don't know how your kids feel about sitting in a hot bus waiting for that.

YS Falls is fairly remote, not an ideal public transport trip since it will involve changing buses/route taxis more than one...MoBay to Black River (not sure that can even be done in one vehicle or if you'd have to change), then into the country from Black River. That trips is much better done with a private ride.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Thank you, all.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there bus/minibus form MoBay to Dunns River Falls, etc.?

Do you know that YS Falls and Dunn's River are in two different directions? And do you know that they are pretty far? Dunn's is going to be about an hour and 15 minutes from Montego Bay. Are you planning to do all of this in the same day?