We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
209 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Been to Cuba and DR many times but this time we're seriously considering The Jewel Dunns River. I am so impressed by the reviews posted. Things I like are the fact that it is a smaller resort with the 9 hole pitch & putt will keep the boyfriend happy :) I love that they have floating loungers for the pool and so many choices for the restaurants and the bars look great. It's hard to find a reason not to book it!!

Does this resort have any themed nights? Beach party night etc? I see they have dive in movies and that is so cool, is that something that is only once a week or more often? As a couple in thier 40's we like to have a good time but aren't party animals, I think this is the right resort for us? Am I right?

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Hey Springtime,

Tuesday night is the Beach Party

Wed and Sat are the dive in Movies however I think on the 25th of this month we might me doing a Golden Globe party by the pool instead of a movie.

Friday night is manager's Cocktail and then Dinner on the Pier.

thursday night is Reggae on the beach with bonfire and smores

No real themes just different things

I hope this helps

Scott from the property

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Hi Springtime - You will love The Jewel and Jamaica, which, IMHO is a step above Cuba and the DR. We were there for 10 days in November and loved every minute of it. It was our first resort of that size, and we loved it! It is compact and so easy to find your way around and you really do get to know the staff. The restaurants are all fabulous and the service is amazing. We were there for 10 days and it felt like we were leaving family when we left.

It isn't a "party" place but it is a lot of fun. We met a lot of people our age (late 40's & early 50's) and had a lot of laughs. Make sure you go to the Japanese restaurant; they had us almost rolling in the aisles.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Going to be at the Jewel Feb 3- Feb 11 and was wondering if there were any special events planned that week.

This is my third time coming to Jamaica and am very excited to try the Jewel.

Lakehurst, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Hi Springtime!

We too have been fortunate to be able to experience several Caribbean vacation spots this past few years. To Cuba mostly, a couple of times to Punta Cana, DR, once to Antigua, and we eloped to Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay nearly 10 years ago.

We too did alot of research for this trip. And ... we have booked our anniversary trip to The Jewel Dunns River, departing Toronto on April 16!

We are very, very much looking forward to this trip. It sounds amazing! The best reviews consistently that we have ever seen!

My husband celebrated his 60th birthday in Holguin a couple of years ago ... I celebrate my June birthday (55+ birthdays) here at home, in Canada, beside our pool -- but with Caribbean drinks of course!

Jamaica ... we're coming ba-a-a-ck!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
209 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Scott, thank you for the info, much appreciated. The more I see and read about this resort the more I feel like this is definately the choice for us. The reviews and comments are amazing and I think more resorts could learn from this one.

We are planning to go Mar 31-Apr 7 and I'm just wondering if that is considered "high" season and if the resort will be at capacity at that time. It is the week leading up to Easter and I know some places have reduced activities because of the holiday.

We are the type to return to the same resort if we find a "Gem" and I would love it if the Jewel turned out to be just that! Now the unfortunate wait until March 31st with an Ottawa winter to deal with! :(

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Hello supber,

Just a few different things happening. We are having a Tailgate party on the beach on the 5th for Superbowl, Truck and cars with lots of food. Lounge chairs big screen tv's. coconut footballs with your favorite team painted on them. spa on the beach, giveaways, half time stuff. Caribbean sea and sand. Your usual tailgate party.

The next day we will be doing things Jamaica style for Bob Marley's Birthday.

I hope that helps.

Scott from the property.

Jamaica
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Springtime38,

thank you for your kind words. If anything we do more for the Holiday period. And we can only hope that we are busy. We are pacing good at this point. But that is a good thing.

Scott from the property.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
209 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Thanks Scott

Made up my mind and I just went and booked our stay at your resort 2 hours ago!!

We'll be there from March 31st - April 7th and looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the staff in person.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

Thanks Scott.

I just realized last night we will be there for Bob Marley's birthday. This just makes us more excited to celebrate with you that week. Thanks for the info.

Mike

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Jewel, Ocho Rios

I think we will be there Bob Marley's birthday too, if it's the 6th. We'll be arriving that day!! Can't wait, all these great reviews and posts are making me super excited!