We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam alert be warned!!!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Scam alert be warned!!!!

We recently visited Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios and my husband entered to win their contest for a return trip to Jamaica. I just got a phone call today saying that we won, confirmed the ballot info, and we will receive a 7 night AI vacation for 80%. I don't trust a soul so I checked it out and sure enough it is a scam. They will ask you to put down 20% onto your credit card for your trip. In many cases their website either disappears, phone calls get ignored, ect. Bottom line it's a scam and people are out money.

So DO NOT enter a contest at Dolphin Cove, Dunns River Falls, or Dune Buggy Tour (he listed these as possible places where we may have entered).

The mans name is Gerry or Garry and the company website is "backtofun.com"

Mentioned in this post
Dolphin Cove
Dolphin Cove
3,055 Reviews
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
london
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

thanks for the headsup!

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

Their website says what they do is "deeply discounted" vacations -- So if they said that you received "a 7 night AI vacation for 80% off" - then it makes sense that the other 20% *would* be paid by the traveler. - I'm not getting how it's a scam.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 22:21
Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

Be on guard...this is how I won my wife in 2001....there are lots of scams...since 2001 she has cost me dearly, one child, many trips, health care, new rings and hand bags every 6 months, Etc.......

Super Laugh Out Loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 26 January 2012, 23:06
Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

Serious, thanks for the heads up!

Mike

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

sounds like a typical timeshare sales pitch to me -

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

Nevsgal all you need to do is google it and there are 5 sites that come up instantly about how people were screwed by this so called company. For example one booked paid their 20% and then did not receive any invoice in the mail or through email, and their calls were not returned, so in they end they were out money and had no vacation. The company also use to go by the name Back to the Caribbean until they changed their name. It's a scam but feel free to think what you want, the only reason why I posted this was to give people a heads up about the company.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

We used our cellphone in 2010 to call a taxi in Negril, for the next 6 months

we recieved several calls from the 876 area code, informing us that we had won all type of Jamaican contests. Quite a few of them involved free trips to Jamaica, only had to pay taxes (via credit card, of course). I tried to get ATT to block the entire 876 area code, but couldn't. After a few months, they quit calling, I wish I had recorded some of the messages these guys left!!!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
8. Re: Scam alert be warned!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 05:24