We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

We will be staying at Sandals Royal Plantation in July and are researching a 1/2 day outing.

We are interested in doing the rafting on the Martha Brae River and understand that this would be a one hour trip from the resort. To make the most out of this, what are some other good sights to see in between? Luminous Lagoon is not far away, but is that worth a stop in daytime? Anything in Runaway Bay worth stopping to see?

We do not like crowds or shopping and are mainly interested in nature, history, and great photo ops.

Also, any suggestions for a reputable and affordable driver are needed as well.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

Look into Enchanted Gardens www.ecotoursja.com a great place to see that a lot of tourist overlook. They have waterfalls, birds, parrots, gardens, lots of walking paths etc.

Shaw Park Gardens is another great spot.

You also have Outanami Museum where they do live re-enactments of historical Jamaican events. Free but donations are accepted. This is located across the street and down the road a bit from Breezes Trelawny.

Luminous Lagoon is not something to see in the daylight.

I already mentioned Cardiff Beach & Flavors Restaurant/Bar.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 14:33
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

Thanks! I had just run across Enchanted Gardens a few minutes ago and it looks like something we'd definitely be interested in.

Any comments on Fern Gully or Murphy Hill? I've read that there is construction through Fern Gully, so would there be much to see? Anything other than great photo ops at Murphy Hill?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

It has been years since we have been on the road of Fern Gully. It was BEAUTIFUL back then. Can't imagine it has changed. I know Chello said they were doing work on it several months ago. IDK where they are with that. Maybe PM Chell.

There is not a lot to Murphy Hill. I remember a small hotel being there and a few road side stands. The view is amazing on a clear day you can see forever. There are ATV tours that you can take if you would like to be a bit more adventurous. Once again Chell might know more about this area as well. It was several years ago when we were there. It may be more there by now.

While I am not a big fan of Dunns River Falls I do love the beach at the bottom. I was really bummed this year when we were not allowed to go to the bottom. There was a loose bolder. One of my favorite pics I have from my first trip to JA 15 years ago is of that beach.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

Thanks again!

We had thought we wanted to do Dunn's River Falls, but that seems way more crowded and touristy than what we usually enjoy. I think Enchanted Gardens or Coyaba River Gardens may be better for us instead. It's fun looking at and considering all the options!

5. Re: Ocho Rios to Martha Brae River sightseeing questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 05:25