We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Road Less Traveled

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
The Road Less Traveled

If you were to ask a local for some interesting sites that aren't overflowing with tourists, what do you suppose they'd recommend? We like to steer clear of the tourist traps when vacationing whenever possible, and enjoy to immerse in the culture.

17 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Road Less Traveled

The northeastern section of Jamaica first comes to mind: Port Antonio as the core of this venue.

Another is the Treasure Beach section on the SouthWestern Coast.

Another would be the Blue Mountain venue.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Treasure Beach
Treasure Beach
98 Reviews
Jamaica
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Travel to the parishes of Manchester, Clarendon St. Catherine, St. Mary and the Cockpit country in the south of Trelawney - especially if you like caving.

Mandeville in Manchester is a lovely place and if you're interested in the Maroons then the Accompong area in north St. Elizabeth is fascinating and has many evocative place names like Me No Sen You No Come, the Land of Lookbehind, Wait-a-Bit and Quick Step.

Edited: 07 April 2018, 16:59
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Accompong is a fascinating visit - Mystic Bowie Cultural Foundation has built a library and school in the community, and the history and culture is amazing (as are the people). I would agree with the recommendation for Port Antonio as well.

Mentioned in this post
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Since the OP posted in the Negril forum... the folks in/around Negril would probably say that 'interesting sites that aren't overflowing with tourists" are:

My Aunt's yard for a great lunch

A local farm

A drive around to local bars for dominoes and some overproof

Personaly, I'd stop by Sexy Rexy's bar near the lighthouse and ask him to tailor an afternoon tour. :)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Castleton, United...
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Road Less Traveled

I understood that the OP was staying in Negril but wanted to travel to some less touristy places.

Port Antonio is a loooong way from Negril but that St. Mary coast from Oracabessa down is lovely and relatively unspoiled by tourism.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Thanks for the ideas folks. I neglected to mention this will be our first trip to Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Road Less Traveled

OP here - should also mention we've decided to visit the Bob Marley site at Nine Mile, and Appleton Rum factory. If there are places to include in either of those trips, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Yes, I know, both of those are tourist places, however, being our first trip there, we want to visit them first, and scratch the list.

California
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Are you staying in Negril?

If you haven’t booked anything yet check out Little Bay. It’s about 20 minutes or so outside of Negril. It’s not touristy and you have a few options for places to stay. We stayed at Richies On The Beach, loved the place and good pricing.

It’s a very chill area with a few bars and nice beach with not many people.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Road Less Traveled

Staying in Negril, but I'll check out your suggestion in person when we're there. Thanks. Keep them coming! We use a good portion of our vacation time exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Reply to: The Road Less Traveled
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted