We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples Swept Away and celiac disease

Ottawa
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Couples Swept Away and celiac disease

We have been to Couples Swept Away 3 times before I was diagnosed with celiac disease (gluten). Would love to go back but nervous about food. I am strictly a pasta, meat and potato person, not a fan of salads or fish, so I am limited if I am stuck for food. Has any other celiac person been and what about food?

I contacted the resort and they said it wouldn’t be a problem but would love some feedback.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,794 Reviews
Jamaica
Zimbali's Mountain Cooking Studio
$$$$, Caribbean, Jamaican, International
Blue Mahoe Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Seafood, Jamaican
3 replies to this topic
America, The...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples Swept Away and celiac disease

I think you’ll get a better response in the Facebook group since this is a pretty specific question and you’ll want a large audience of repeat guests. Often, you’ll get folks on here who have never stayed at CSA answering questions about even things as specific and important as this without any real knowledge and I’d hate for you to be misled.

The CSA Facebook group is “Couples Swept Away Resort Fans”. Put in all 5 words into your search in order to find the correct group.

Mentioned in this post
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,794 Reviews
Jamaica
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples Swept Away and celiac disease

Have to ask, you have Celiac, but eat pasta and potatoes?

My wife went Gluten free for 3 months due to migraines (to see if it would help), and we learned a ton. CN had some Gluten Free options, but of course its limited since Gluten is in almost everything.

-All Grains:bread, pasta, cereals, muffins, bagels, cookies, cakes, gravies, croutons, bread crumbs, biscuits, rolls, pita, batter-fried foods, noodles, wheat-based tortillas, ice cream cones, bran, wheat germ, dumplings, pancake mixes, pies, pumpernickel and rye breads, cornbread, vermicelli, doughnuts, buns, pretzels, spaghetti, waffles and pastries, should be avoided unless the label states clearly that they are gluten-free

-Almost all seasonings/sauces/spice mixes/condiments etc

-alcoholic drinks like beer, ale, light beer and hard liquors made with grains containing gluten. For anyone newly diagnosed with gluten intolerance, alcoholic drinks distilled from gluten grains, which include most gin, whiskey and some vodkas.

-all processed meats

-Treats: made with malt, all chocolate and chocolate candy containing malt, ice cream, candies containing cereal extract, sherbets, commercial cake frosting, and root beer.

Have you considered a non-AI on the cliffs? You won't be able to eat/drink 90% of the items at the resort.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples Swept Away and celiac disease

Looks like you joined the small CSA group. If you want to get more answers, join the one in Post #1. Lots of GF folks travel to CSA.

Reply to: Couples Swept Away and celiac disease
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted