We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Southend
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Has anyone had any experience with the internet service at this resort? Looking at the pdf file of ClubHotel RIU it states:

1. Internet-room (additional Charge)

2. Wireless LAN Zone (free of charge).

How much do they charge for (1) and is (2) really true (unincrypted wireless access) ?

Keith (Southend)

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

I stayed at RIU Tropical Bay and it was $9 for about 30 min of internet using their computers. The free WIFI was in the lobby area only. It was just a netgear router with no password on it.

Signal was weak but worked for checking e-mail.

I'd imagine the 2 RIU's are similar as far as the WIFI.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

RIU Club is the same deal. Free in lobby or $9 for 30 minutes in Net room. Both work well.

Southend
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Thanks for the replies, it's surprising how fast wireless internet has spread around the World in the last couple of years.

Keith (Southend)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

The RIU have free WIFI access in the 'lobby area'. For your reference this connection is available everywhere in the lobby, the fountain/garden area where the craft market sets up, the open air seating to the right of the stage and the few first metres of the pool area (the waterfall pool).

Ange

Southend
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Just one thing, with the battery only lasting about 10 minutes on my old laptop, has anyone been able to find a socket to plug into for power ?

Keith (Southend)

Southend
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

One other thing I just thought of, si there any problem bringing laptops into Jamaica with customs etc, I know some places can get funny about such electrical items?

Thanks

Keith (Southend)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

i don't think there is much problems bringing in lap tops cause a lot of people had them ...

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Bringing a laptop is not a problem.

At the airport they will ask you to take the laptop out of the bag and scan the laptop and the bag separately through the x-ray machine. That's it.

Just a heads up to everyone out there. If you're using an unsecured wireless connection like the one's at the RIU's... MAKE SURE your virus and firewall software is up to date! It's not hard for anyone to setup an unsecured router and have access to all of your unencrypted data via your wireless connection.

Southend
Level Contributor
300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

Thanks for the advice. Another thing worth doing is deleting ALL cookies/passwords that windows remembers, just in case it takes a walk!

10. Re: ClubHotel RIU Negril - Internet access?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 00:16