We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need to take a converter?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Will I need to take a converter?

Can anyone tell me if we will need to take a converter with us?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I need to take a converter?

No converter necessary for Canadians in Jamaica, no.

So. California
Level Contributor
823 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I need to take a converter?

No you will not need a converter. The only difference is that Jamaica is 50 cycles instead of 60 so anything with a timer might run a little slow.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I need to take a converter?

Same outlet too: two parallel prongs. Some Jamaican outlets may not have the grounding socket, so maybe one of those adapters that convert a two prong socket to a three prong plug. Have a look at what you want to plug in and if there it the grounding prong, do consider bringing that adapter -- can find it in any hardware store.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I need to take a converter?

Couple of nits to pick:

Due to the 50 cycles, everything electric will be slower, so it will take longer for your camera/i-pod/whatever to recharge, your hair dryer won't get as hot, etc.

Also, be sure to bring an adaptor, because even if you have two-prong plugs, they are probably polarized (one prong bigger than the other), and many outlets are not.

5. Re: Will I need to take a converter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 16:17