We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

We are booking a vacation for Feb 2012 for 10 days. We're huge Negril lovers. We've looked at the reviews & photos of Legends & everybody says nice things about the hotel. No one mentions if they have safes in the room or not. Does anyone know? What about general security? How far is it from Alfred's & the other places on the beach? Should we pay the $410 ea to add all-inclusive? Thanks for all your help forum guys!

new york
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

I would go to the Grand Pineapple or Rui for that price of AI...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

the hotel is relatively nice, and the security is good, but the AI plan there is NOT worth it .... They give you a limited buffet and skimp on which drinks you can pick (most of the good drinks are not included,)

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

try Nirvana, Idle Awhile, Rondel Village or Bar-B-Barn

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

We are booked at CSA for 7 nights and are looking for a spot to add an additional 5 nights.

Legends was one of the places we looked at as well as its sister property Samsara. After reading all of the reviews and looking into the AI plan it just is not worth the money or the risk (to us).

Merrills 2 has much better reviews as does Grand Pineapple.

Good luck with your decision.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

Dont do it !!!!!!!!!!

Pay a bit more and go somewhere else............

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

If your on a budget you may want to look at Negril Relax Resort. You won't find much info. on TA because it is an old property under new management. I haven't stayed there but have heard it is pretty nice for the price. go to www.negrilonestop.com/negril_relax.shtml and check out the photos and pricing.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

I stayed at Legends recently. IN my case --I already booked my complete stay at another resort. The resort I choose was NOT on the cliffs and I wanted to spend some time there. So I PAID more money for a few days on the Cliffs.

I actually chose the Samsara---but my reservation was NOT held even though paid in advance months ago and I was moved over th the Legends.

Because I am a very experienced traveller--I accepted the situation of the move....and I didn't lose sleep over it. However---I lost money being there at all because I had planned on snorkeling the cliffs which is one of the reasons I choose the Samsara. Once moved down to the Legends. I did not snorkle at all and so I lost money on the fact that I lugged all my snorkling gear with me from the States to do that.I was able to deal with and accept this...but unaware travelers need to know the sorts of things this management does to visitors and don't care about it effect--as they are FULLY aware of these practices.These are NOT errors or mistakes. They do things with FULL KNOWLEDGE !!

If you choose the Legends because of the very reasonable price of your stay and you are a educated traveller that dosen't get real rattled over things--then keep you reservation at the Legends.

The workers at the Legends are wonderful...... smiling lovely , helpful people.

Its the management and owners whom are not responsible and make this chain a one star or less..by the ugly face and behavour they show to guests. Everything from not holding reservation properly , switching people from the types of rooms they reserved to other accomadations. not producing anywhere enough towels for guests in the rooms. Demanding $100.00 on hold for your stay --but then trying hard not to let you charge anything to the room AND having to settle your bill the day BEFORE you leave if you do. These are the sorts of issues that make this hotel a very low level establishment....but if you are traveling on a budget and this is within it---stay !! But be aware of these issue and be sure to stop and purchase extra towels before you even get into the resort property..Bring you soaps and lotions--becaue they offer nothing to extremly little in that way.

The restaurant is good enough for me ..but then I don't travel to Jamaica for the dining. In my area near to New York -I can have ANY SORT of foods--there fore I am not expecting FABULOUS FOODS.Here I wouldn't suggest "AI " --because you can get off of the property everyday in the cliff area and find some other foods to eat.You could easily stop here for breakfast before moving on on doing the beach and them make plans to go off property for others. I had meals there at all different times of the day and they were all acceptable to me. Gourmet ?? NO !!! but clean dining area , foods served at the proper temps , good natured serving staff , wonderful view of the sea as you dine ---YES !!!!!!!

Room Service--they don't want to do it....I had to beg for it.

Again , if you really understand all the issues --stay there....but if you are looking for more and already know that you want more service--do not stay at legends.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 18:01
Madison, Wi
Level Contributor
160 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

Wow- I think that Wantotrav has an even dimmer view of the mgmt of Samsara/Legends than I do.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

Been going to SamSara/Legends for many years & have had none of the problems mentioned. The Absera's have always treated us right!

Just returned along with 3 newbies & they LOVED it....

michigan
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Legends - should we or shouldn't we??

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you. We may try looking elsewhere, thanks for the suggestions of alternate hotels. We've been to the Riu Palace & Sunset at the Palms & really love both but we were trying to be more budget friendly with this trip so we can stay longer. We look into the one's you have suggested.