We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet ski safety

Florida, New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Jet ski safety

Hi all please be reminded that you need to be extremely careful when riding the Jet ski. Yesterday one of PG Tours Jamaica Driver transported a young lady and her parents to use the Jet ski at a local rental company and she torn her vagina, while riding the Jet Ski. She had to be rushed to Mobay Hope Hospital. To that family I extend regret and do hope her condition is not severe and a speedy recovery.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
843 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet ski safety

Ouch!!!!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet ski safety

OMG that does not sound good at ALL! We own a waverunner, and I can't even imagine how that occured? I agree with remembering to be safe, but that had to be a freak accident. :o(

South Jersey
Level Contributor
324 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet ski safety

I have riden jet skis for years, in the Atlantic Ocean, with waves bigger than my common sense at times. Ouch.

I'm really trying to see how this happens. I agree with ksoldati, it had to be a freak accident but it doesn't hurt to remind people to be careful.

(Not that I doubt it did but the seas are relatively calm in Jamaica compared to Atlantic Ocean.)

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet ski safety

here's an article....http://thesafetyreport.com/2010/09/a-little-known-personal-watercraft-danger

that sounds like a really bad freak accident, waters are usually calm, maybe she was thrown off??

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:35
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet ski safety

You have to be kidding me...

And that article that a few posters above linked has to be a joke.

The second your hand comes off the throttle the jet stream of water stops. There is no way that people fall off the back and get blasted by it.

I'm having a hard time believing this...

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:51
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet ski safety

I think these things are the scourge of the sea. I find them smelly and noisy AND polluting. They have no business being anywhere any place designated a marine park (like in the sea behind my house).

You take your life in your hands taking a swim on Long Bay these days what with the fumes and either amateur or over enthusiastic riders.

They should have been banned long ago.

Anyone want to know how I really feel?

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet ski safety

I love riding the jet skis!! They are a blast!! Im looking forward to skimming across the sea next month!! Enjoy!!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet ski safety

rastagirl777 could not agree more! and they have become more of a hassle in Negril over the years. I have an illness called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and a big part of why we go to Negril is clean, sea air and sea water which is very healing...but these things come around and the chemical odors off them..yuck!

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet ski safety

Nah....its not that bad..lol. I mean, thats a big ol ocean out there, you are not going to smell that much odor. Now if you were in a closed garage with one running, then yea maybe. maybe that was ganja smoke you were smelling perhaps??

I am ready to feel the sea wind in my face as I zip along the caribbean and head up towards the cliff and back. They are so much fun to ride and sort of addicting.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,931 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet ski safety

I like the very occasional jet ski ride, but based on the article, wouldn't it be possible that, with 2 riders, the rear passenger falls off the back while driver still has his or her hand on the throttle and continues accelerating--thus the freak accident? Possible, but not frequent, right?