We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mooretown
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas

How is the Grand lido area beach for Sand Fleas

We had them really bad in La Romana, and in Roatan last year.

I bought Bug bands and they worked,just want to know how it is and should I bring them

Thanx

Fergie

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas

There are sand fleas in Negril (in fact, I think there are sand fleas wherever there is sand). If you react to them strongly (I do), stay off the beach in the early morning and late afternoon; brush sand off your legs regularly; don't take your towels back to your room (or, if you do, put them on the balcony); use repellent religiously in the evening; take oral antihistamines with you.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas

I never had sand flea problem in Negril.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas

Some people are bothered by the sand fleas and some aren't. It appears they like women more than men, based on conversations here. They bother me for sure! Good advice from Rob & Cathy above, they're anywhere there is sand, it doesn't matter what property you're at - unless you're on the cliffs. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas

I had two great pieces of advice last year for fleas - because they absolutely LOVE me.

One poster said to use lemon juice on your ankles and legs which worked and another said to rub a Bounce sheet on your ankles and legs and that worked too. And I stayed off the beach at sunset and I was never there in early morning so no worries there. We even walked the beach in the evenings…….

I didn't get ONE sand flea bite when we were there in October - WOOHOO!

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas

Sand Fleas LOVE me!!! And I think I am a bit allergic because they always swell up larger than any companions. Anyway take bug spray with Deet 40. It says on the can for Sand Fleas. Do Not go near the beach at sunset with out it. Take some sort of anti itch cream/lotion for the night time, that seems to be when the bites are the most irritating. Also lime juice will help them heal quicker and helps stop the itch. It stings when you apply it, but is worth the pain!

Also, rinse off your feet and legs before going into your room, if possible. Or hop in the shower before getting into bed.

Mooretown
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas

Thanx to all for all the help I will take all that stuff as they attack me as well and leave my wife alone

Thanx Again

Fergie

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
739 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas

Friends were at the Lido the middle of December and she said they were bad about 3 p.m. and told us to bring spray (we are staying at RPTB in 30 days!) I have never had a problem before but always bring the spray just in case.

thunder bay ontario...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas

OH so that is what is biting me, omg I get a huge reaction I even have scars to prove it, sooooo itchy and swell, I take deep woods off and Benadryl with me now, nothing the pharmacy there helped, we in northern Ontario know how to battle bugs lol.

9. Re: Sand Fleas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 12:39
Mooretown
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas

Thanx again lake t willow and all the others

Fergie