We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go to Floyd's?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
When to go to Floyd's?

My wife and I are looking to book a day tour to Black River/Floyd's (hopefully with a short stop at the Pete Tosh mausoleum on the way there/back during our trip to Negril next month. We're trying to decide whether we're better off going on a Sunday or a Monday.

Knowing that this trip would take much of a day, the deciding factor is which day has more stuff going on at the beach/downtown. My first guess is that there may be more going on Sunday, which means we'd want to travel to Black River/Floyd's on Monday.

Does anyone have any opinion about which day would be better for the trip?

Thanks!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

I'd only NOT go on Wed and Fri because the Sandals catamaran is there those days and it is packed. Sunday or Monday shouldn't matter much though if you are going up the river in a small boat - the one that takes you to Floyd's - you may find you can't get stuffed crab from Sister Lou's on Sunday. I don't think Pelican ever closes for a full day.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

Any day is a good day at Floyd's PB!! The only exception would be Wednesday or Friday as the Sandals group comes then, as Ohliz mentioned. That group is usually gone from there by noon or 1 PM. We have gone several times and love arriving right when it opens, 10:30 AM. We have the place to ourselves for awhile. Enjoy this truly Jamaican gem!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

I like Sundays to travel anywhere outside of Negril, especially Sunday mornings when the roads are nice and quiet :)

I was pleasantly surprised both times we went to Pelican Bar in the last month (visitors from out of town) - it was so UNCROWDED it was a true pleasure to be there.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

We have had the same luck the last couple of times too rasta, and we do go early.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

I took a trip from Negril to Pelican Bar and Black River on a Monday in late December. Going on a Monday was great! It was an early start to the day but then we were back in Negril around 5:00, just in time for sunset!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

Great trip From YYZ! We haven't done Black River yet, but it's on the to-do list.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated!

8. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 15:44
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

You might also check on Tosh's place schedule if that is an important part of your trip.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
279 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to go to Floyd's?

I've been trying to decide on a trip to PB. I would think that mornings are the best, with the calmer water and typically sunny skies. We travel in April and mornings are my favorite time of day. Afternoons can sometimes cloud up and get some rain. That said, I'd want to arrive at PB at 10:30 like suggested, but that means giving up the beach. If we wait til later in the day to get to PB, we may have more people to contend with and not great weather. But at the same time, being there later in the afternoon and staying til sunset could be cool, too.

I've read about stopping for shrimp on the ride there or back in Middle Quarters. Do they sell every day? Thinking about doing the trip on a Sunday.