We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Topic
Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

We've been to jewel paradise cove and absolutely loved it. We are considering going back I july but are also considering jewel duns river. Can anyone compare them or tell me the difference? My only complaint about paradise cover was the lack of a beach but that would t keep me away

11 replies to this topic
Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Only been to Jewel Dunn's River resort and can tell you, you will not be disappointed with it.

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Do you need reservations for the restaurants or can you just walk in

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Been to both more than once; feel free to read our reviews by clicking on my avatar. We would return to JPC if JDR was not available. Not enough shade at JPC for me. We love the a/c in the evenings at JDRs Emerald Tree Lounge.

We prefer the beach at JDR over JPCs and love JDRs huge main pool with swim up bar and the Dunns River Falls replica that splashes into the pool - there is an in pool seating area behind the falls! The second pool is swim up as well and there is nice hot tub adjacent to it. We enjoy the a la carte breakfast option at Platinum and like Moonstone Italian for its food and indoor/outdoor seating options.

JDR also has the Teppanaki restaurant, similar to JPCs but we are not fans of this cuisine - way too salty for us but the entertainment can be fun if you have a great group of folks at your grill and an awesome chef!

We are looking forward to our return in August for our annual b-day getaway! Enjoy.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Floyd, I know you definitely need a reservation for Jade Samurai - Moonstone, no and for Platinum, frankly I don't remember! For evening in the Coral Café, no reservations.

The Irie Coffee Shop is busy in the mornings and there is a brick oven pizza place next to it that gets busy in the afternoon.

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Is the platinum worth the upgrade?

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Floyd, Platinum is a restaurant! We don't like the Emerald Building, so we usually stay in Sapphire. We have booked mountainview and oceanview and liked both. One time we were moved to the Diamond building and had oceanview but we would not have paid for that. The Diamond building has Concierge and Butler options and we have never had it so cannot comment on whether it is worth it or not.

whitby, ON
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Thanks so much. What are the differences in the buildings

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Have a look at the JDR map to see the locations - Diamond is the oceanfront building, Sapphire is the main building above the lobby and Emerald is the old motel-style 2 storey shared balcony/terrace.

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

Hi Denise:

Some reviews of JDR mention problems with malfunctioning a/c units in their rooms . Did you have any issues with the a/c when you were there ? Thanks.

Edited: 31 May 2017, 15:32
nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river

judyper, we have not had any issues with our in room a/c, thank goodness!

Reply to: Jewel paradise cove vs jewel duns river
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted