We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

We will be traveling from Kingston to Montego Bay. Thinking about staying two nights in Runaway Bay at the Royal Decameron to break up the trip a bit and see more of the island. How far is the drive from Kingston to Runaway Bay? From Runaway Bay to Montego Bay? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

i half answered on your other thread...

runaway bay to montego bay = about 1hr

runaway bay to kingston = about 2.5 hours (possibly longer with traffic/construction etc)

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

I'd be tempted to veer off to the east of Ochi just a tad, like to Port Maria or Strawberry Fields, since so much of your trip seems to be in either a major city (Kingston) or a major tourist town (MoBay, Ochi).

Port Maria is about 45 mins east of Ochi and has at least one seriously cool place to stay - Blue Harbor. Used to be Noel Coward's "beach" home (Firefly is up the hill from there). There are 3 villas, a saltwater pool and a beach. Reeks of history and the staff/management I met there were all incredibly friendly.

Strawberry Fields has the resort of that name as well as River Lodge. The latter is a bit rustic but the kids might find staying in an old Spanish Fort really fun for a night or two. That neighborhood is so laid back and cool, too. It would make a really nice change from Kingston, Ochi and MoBay - and Runaway Bay...you can actually walk around on the streets with little fear of traffic.

S-Fields would leave you 2.5-3 hours from MoBay, Port Maria more like 2-2.5. Depending how fast you drive :)

Also Duncans Bay - specifically Jamaica Jewel - is a quiet area with an incredible beach and apartments in a tiny guest house that are quite luxurious while being intimate still. Only 45 minutes from MoBay, to the east. That might shave your 4 hour trip from Kingston to MoBay to 3.25 hours.

I don't suppose you'll have time to get to Treasure Beach? That's another favorite area of mine - also quiet mellow country area with beaches, like Robins Bay kind of, but it's on the south coast and it doesn't sound like you'll get to that side?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

@ohliz..Thanks so much for taking the time to give me all of those wonderful suggestions! I'll definitely look into some of those. There seems to be so many hidden gems!

4. Re: How far is Runaway Bay from Kingston and Montego Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay