We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Rate Question.

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
980 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Rate Question.

Hi All,

I have done a search, but not found any results to me question!

What rate would you recommend to change UK pounds to Jamaican Dollars?

The reason I ask is that we only travel next April and will watch the exchange rates. We did this with our recent trip to Mexico and was advised to look at 20 pesos to the £ as a good rate for us in the UK. We managed to get this rate although it is currently less at the minute.

Thanks for your help in this matter

Dave

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Rate Question.

Base rate is approx 1 - 145.5 now and has been on the rise over the past few months.

To find your best rate to buy:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Best debit/credit card for use abroad:

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…howgood

Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
980 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Rate Question.

Hi JAsoldier,

Thanks for the informatiom but I know that rates will go up and down. However its the best average for the UK that am after to give me a guide. As currently the best rate is 139 so is lower than the rate you have stated.

So what am saying is that for example, it may bounce between 139 (lowest rate) and 155 (being best highest)... So for UK average would be looking at 146, and i would then look to getting at that price (if not better lol) and try not getting at a lower rate (if you get my drift lol)

Thanks again

Dave

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Rate Question.

We change our currency when we get there...

3 weeks ago we got $141ja to the £....

Nuneaton...
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Rate Question.

Hi

Look at https://www.mayberryinv.com/ Click on "Trading" or "Cambio" under Quick Links. The "Buy rate" is what you would get for you GBP £ if you were in Jamaica. You will NOT get a rate near these Jamaican rates when you change your GBP £ in Wigan.

You may need to know that, when you change a few £ into JMD, you end up with a large amount of paper money and then need a bag to carry it around.

My advise is, take your money in a US$ cash card. You can then get your money in US$ or JMD from ATMs which dispense both currencies.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

1november

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Rate Question.

Dave, the first link in my post tells you where you can buy at the best rate. Monitor that and buy at what seems to be the right time. Right now the rate is about the highest it's been this year. No way of telling if it will rise or fall between now and April 2013. That seems to be what you're asking for?

The second link is to the best plastic to use abroad. From the UK, as you're looking for the best rates, don't touch US$ as you will lose on two exchanges, instead of one.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Rate Question.

1November is right in saying that you get a better rate at a Ja cambio compared to in the UK, so it may be better to carry only enough for your first few days, then purchase more J$ in Ja.

I'm not a speculator, but now could be a good time to buy in the UK. Rates may well fall by April as the rate does look particularly high right now. See this chart:

www.xe.com/currencycharts/…

Edited: 30 October 2012, 19:29
Wigan, Lancashire
Level Contributor
980 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Rate Question.

Thanks alot all for your help.

JAsoldier,

Thanks for the last link, it does look good rate on the chart and high at the min. it has given me a better idea.

Thanks again

Dave

8. Re: Currency Rate Question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Runaway Bay