We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Close to the Top?

Northeast Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How Close to the Top?

How close to the top of the Blue Mountain Peak can you go by vehicle. I had heard there were 4WD's to take you all but say the last 15 minutes. Would love to see the Sunrise from there, but don't think my asthma would handle a 7 mile one way hike let alone the 7 miles back. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Close to the Top?

i thought i read it somewhere but i can't seem to recall where... if you contact hotel mockingbird in Port Antonio, they should be able to tell you... they offer a number of different options for blue mountain tours, i'm sure one is a "drive as far as you can" one...

if you do find out, let me know... where are you planning on heading out from (Kingston? Port Antonio?) a blue mountain hike has been on my must do list for awhile, I've done some hiking on the mountains in inner St Thomas and approached the peak from that side, but too far off to really get to crazy altitudes... hopefully soon i can get up there!

Chelle

kingston
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Close to the Top?

From Kingston you can travel by road into the Blue Mountains-not to the top, but to Hollywell or to Jacobs Ladder. You could contact the Blue & John Crow Mountain office-876-9208278-9. contact me if you need more info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Close to the Top?

okay i did some digging up of accomodations for base camps and hotels up in the mountains, here's that thread... if nothing else, contacting one of these properties will probably get you in touch with the ppl who do the tours and they can give you the info you need

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k22337…

also here's a trip report that i enjoyed reading about a blue mountain hike... not really useful for your purposes, but a pretty good detailed one all the same... i think the blue mount. part starts on pg 10 or so...

www.jamaicans.com/forums/ubbthreads.php…

it's a tad old so many of the pictures have been archived/pulled from their sources :( but some are still there...

Chelle

Northeast Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Close to the Top?

Thank you for your replies. I will contact the hotels and places you all have suggested. We will be in Jamaica for four weeks. We will go to our Timeshare in Negril first and then head across the island with our local driver/friend/guide. Plan to go to Port Antonino first for a couple days, then head into the mountains. Had hoped to get far enough up so that we would only have to hike 1/2 hour or so to see sunrise. From there we are going to Kingston and on to Milk River and then back to Negril to spend the rest of the holidays. Any other ideas and suggestions for this trip are welcome. Have been going to Negril for over 20 years, but this is only the second trip farther east than Ochie and none to the Mountains or Kingston.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Close to the Top?

Do try to spend a few days in Treasure Beach... my favourite part of the island (outside of Kingston)..

www.treasurebeach.net

plenty of wonderful options, i personally stay at taino cove but marblue is absolutely lovely too!

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Close to the Top?

BTW... very VERY jealous!!!

Chelle

kingston
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Close to the Top?

For Kingston you will need 2-3 days at least. Dont plan for a day then feel disappointed when you reach that you do not have enough time to do all the things.Since you seem to like the mountains ask about the following:

Jablum coffee tour

Forres Park tour.

Craigton tour

kingston
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Close to the Top?

For Kingston you will need 2-3 days at least. Dont plan for a day then feel disappointed when you reach that you do not have enough time to do all the things.Since you seem to like the mountains ask about the following:

Jablum coffee tour

Forres Park tour.

Craigton tour

kingston
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Close to the Top?

Hollywell is 3,500 ft. above sea level-about half the heigh of the Blue Mtns.The scenery even at the height of the Jablum coffe factory is breath-taking.(one thing to remember that thanks to Gustav the roads to this area are currently impassable.

L.E.
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How Close to the Top?

hi i have done the blue mountain peak and yes absolutly stunning and well worth the pain ;-)) the scenery and views over kingston are just breathtaking.

well now to the driving part. you can take a 4x4 up to penlyne castle. this is were i think 2 guest houses are. from there on you should consider another 4 1/2 to 5 hours hike up. and another 3 to 4 hours down. depends on how fit you are. to reach for sunrise you have to leave midnight maybe consider slightly before so not to miss the sunrise after all. there is no proper shelter up there, just a kind of house which has no proper roof. pack enough layer clothing. you would need to pay for the national park. entrance fee wasnt that much cant remember.

to the 15 minutes: i'd say the 4x4 might even gets you a little further up but iam quite definite that its not going to be only 15 minutes hike. there is a gate up there after penlyne which stops all vehicles from going any further.

in the likes of asthma...well i cant really say much to that.

there is the other oiption to strawberry hill, which can be driven to and from there it is not too far up and this can be done in 20/30 minutes. but this is not the blue mountain peak itself but still breathtaking view....

hope that helps