We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental? Uber?

Oakley, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Car rental? Uber?

I am 1/4 of a group of middle-aged women traveling to Puerto Rico for a one week vacation at the end of April. We are staying at an Airbnb condo adjacent to the Embassy Suites. Our concern is transportation. We have heard many people say the PR driving practices can be a little crazy so we are aprehensive about driving ourselves. We are wondering if you could share your experiences. Also, how easy is using Uber? Are uber cars plentiful in PR?

3 replies to this topic
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Car rental? Uber?

I stayed in Dorado last year and you will definitely want to rent a car. The town is lovely but nothing is really walkable, and unless I am mistaken Uber is not operating in Dorado at this time.

In my experience the worst driving is in San Juan during rush hour, and even that I cannot say is much worse than rush hour in Columbus, Ohio. As long as you stay aware of your surroundings and drive defensively. Only anecdotal but I have rented and driven cars on the island about a dozen times and have never had as much as a fender bender.

On an unrelated note, if you have the opportunity you should grab a meal at Mana in Dorado. They have a bakery inside as well, we tried them for dinner one night and liked the food so much that we tried their breakfast the next day and ate there again for dinner before we left.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Car rental? Uber?

Driving is not that hard. If you want yo do day trips, renting will be cheaper than taking tours.

There is no uber in Dorado.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Car rental? Uber?

You are from California and questioning the driving practices in Puerto Rico. LOL. The folks in PR have no clue. Rent a car, Enjoy. No problems.

Reply to: Car rental? Uber?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted