We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

Hello trip advisor community! I have put together an itinerary for a trip for my boyfriend and I in late may to Puerto Rico and I was hoping to get some input or suggestions from all of you. Are there any glaring activities/cities I am missing and must visit? Is any of this not worth it? We are both in our early 20s and are active and enjoy the outdoors, but also relaxing on the beach and nightlife. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Day 1- arrive late and take a taxi to stay the night in San Juan

Day 2- see old San Juan in the morning, then take a taxi to check into the Marriott, spend the afternoon on the beach

Day 3- rent a car and drive to El Yunque Caribbean National Forest, see the forest and hike mount Britton. Take the late ferry or a late flight (I have read that the flight is by far the way to go, budget allowing), to Veiques and stay at Hacienda Tamarindo

Day 4- Rent a car on Veiques and explore beaches and hike and do bioiluminescence kayak at night. Stay at Hacienda Tamarindo

Day 5- return car and fly/take ferry back to mainland, drive to Ponce and spend the afternoon exploring and on the beach. Stay at the Hilton

Day 6- drive to las caverns del Rio to explore the caves and see the radio tower. Drive again and stay at either Parador Villas Del Mar Has or Villa Montana Beach resort

Day 7- beach in the morning and drive to Casa Grande Mountain retreat. Hike and explore in the afternoon

Day 8- drive back to San Juan and see more of the city. Possibly do a food or cultural tour. Stay at Ciquala Luxury Suite

Day 9- return car and depart

To those of you who have visited or lived in Puerto Rico, does this itinerary seem doable to you? Thank you in advanced!

6 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

That's one really busy itinerary. Beings PR is 100 by 35 miles, are you sure you really want to drive that much?

My only suggestion is for day 5. There are no beaches in Ponce. You can consider staying in Cabo Rojo instead.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

Day 5 I would drive to Isabela already to have 2 day's to relax a little too.You are doing lot's of check in and out. Remember each Hotel always takes a hold on Credit card for Incidentals, that always takes a few days to become available again.

Montevallo, Alabama
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

Look into Rio Camuy cave park. You might like that one better. If so, go there in the morning then go to La Cueva del Indio and check out the cliffs.

And if you want something to do in Ponce check out Hacienda Pomarrosa.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

I would stay in Vieques for at least 2 nights. The beaches are beautiful and it gets dark early. You might not have enough time to really see them, especially if you take a late flight or ferry.

Edited: 08 February 2017, 16:48
La Habra, California
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

Hello, I am also going in May, I have been to PR 4 times and I can tell you that driving around is not fun, especially since there is a lot of traffic. a 30 mile trip may take you a couple of hours. Puerto Ricans are easy laid back people, so you need to get into that rhythm and you'll enjoy it more. Read about the Vieques Ferry, it seems you may spend a lot of time in line to get the ferry so if you really want to do it get there early. best beaches are in Vieques and Culebra, but take time to enjoy it.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
139 reviews
6. Re: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!

If you like adventures try the Tanama River Adventures. As for the ferry to the islands get your tickets on advance or you'll have to wait in line. Read up on it. I would stay in only one or two places and rent a car for the week if you don't go to Vieques. It will be cheaper in the long run. Hit the lechonera highway for some good food. Enjoy it. It's a beautiful island and the people are the best.

Reply to: Puerto Rico Road trip itinerary- please help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted