We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

Oregon
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

I can't find any reliable information on ferry service from Ponce to Isla Caja de Muerto. I would like to visit it on either Oct. 22 or 23 (a Saturday or Sunday).

Any information would be helpful including schedule and cost per person.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

I'm not sure if there's a ferry. You can try a tour. The website below provides tour information.

http://www.islandventurepr.com/

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

There are some private boats that do the trip for a fee, during Saturday & Sunday (and holydays).

You may call the Municipio de Ponce tourism informtion center to get more informtion. Their number is: 787-999-2200 ext. 5156

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

There is no Ferry, just charter boats. Call Tourism office in Ponce 787-841-8044 for Operators

Oregon
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

Island Venture looks ok - I'll look at the others as well. We were thinking Culebra earlier on but Caja de Muertos seems like a more reliable way to see a beach off the beaten path with the schedule we have. Has anyone here gone there? It seems to be well recommended.

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
5. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

It is great and if you want to find more specific details here is a link to an article on the wonderful puerto rico daytrips website which gives you the whole enchilada of details..soup to nuts so to speak!

puertoricodaytrips.com/isla-caja-de-muertos/

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

YES there is a ferry, but I belive its private and you have to make reservations, but I don't know the telephone number or their schedule, so I'm not much help. And, they don't run every day maybe just Saturdays or Sat. and Sun. You can take your cooler and have a picnic at the shore. Bring your suntan lotion and your own towels. It is one of the most beautiful beaches you can imagine.

3 posts
7. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

Ferrys called Island Ventures # 787-842-8546 or 787-843-0148 spanish only for info or reservations. Ferry works Saturdays Sunday and Holidays, Departs from La Guancha in Ponce at 8:30 am and departs from Caja de Muerto (island) at 3:30 pm or so. Costs: Per adult 20.33 tax includid kids 11 under 14.98 tax includid. Gota go!! oh and take anything you need for the trip no stores!!! Luck! :-)

3 posts
8. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

Ferrys called Island Ventures # 787-842-8546 or 787-843-0148 spanish only for info or reservations. Ferry works Saturdays Sunday and Holidays, Departs from La Guancha in Ponce at 8:30 am and departs from Caja de Muerto (island) at 3:30 pm or so. Costs: Per adult 20.33 tax includid kids 11 under 14.98 tax includid. Gota go!! oh and take anything you need for the trip no stores!!! Luck! :-)

3 posts
9. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Getting to Isla Caja de Muerto

Caja de Muerto is closed to visitors right now. There was some damage from Isaac's tides. Will post when they reopen to the public.