We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting here?

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting here?

What is the best way to get to Ponce from SJU? Is there any public transportation available?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting here?

Renting a car and driving is the best way. Public transportation isn't really available nor is it reliable.

Edited: 04 January 2016, 13:07
Pasadena
Level Contributor
609 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting here?

Hi,

We want to visit Ponce while on our vacation next month. We have 12 days, staying at Las Casitas. We looked at our PR map and figured about a 2 hour drive. Any suggestions on the drive down? I love old cities to explore. Any ideas anyone can offer would be appreciated.

. Thanks,

Bobbi So Cal

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting here?

Bobbi, always start your own threads as older ones aren't always addressed.

From Fajardo it's closer to a 3 hours drive, depending on traffic (avoid rush hour). It's all highway, although a very nice drive. What kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Pasadena
Level Contributor
609 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting here?

Thank you Paris for replying. You answered my first question..how long of a drive is it? Right there I'll need to talk to my husband. He has a long commute to his business everyday. We live inland, right next to the mountains and his office is In the Beach area. On vacation, he likes to chill on the long driving trips.

Yeah, I thought 2 hours, hoping for a bit less too. Who knows ? Maybe once we've relaxed for a few days, the 6 hour drive (total) in one day won't seem so much.😀

Dana Point, Ca.
Level Contributor
62 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting here?

Hi Bobbi...Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post.

I too live in SoCal and I will be in PR Aug 15~20.

I would love to get out of the Old town SJ area and explore the island on the Caribbean side.

Seems to be more than a day drive. I am ready to find a hotel for a night or two..........

Anyone have suggestions on hotel and car rental and different points of interest not usually so touristy????

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting here?

loisp9154, please start your own threads. The original OP will receive email notifications for all the replies, even if they are not for them.

Hotels in Ponce: Ponce Hilton, Holiday Inn, there's also one by the Mercedita airport.

I imagine you are renting the car in San Juan. If so, Charlie's, Avis and Enterprise are the only agencies we recommend. Othwerise, please read the reviews before booking.

Points of interest in Ponce: You do not want to go to non-touristy areas in Ponce. It's a beautiful city, but it's not the place to go wandering if you aren't familiar with it. Specially at night. One wrong turn and you can easily be in trouble. Trust me. I was born there, went to college there, partied there, and still visit when I go home. My best advise is to stick to the touristic sites.

Edited: 02 August 2016, 07:06
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,516 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting here?

Paris, you probably feel that way about Ponce because you used to live there (and have family there). I always get lost in Ponce and I am still alive. You make it sound sooo dangerous. It is really not that bad.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting here?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound scary. I love Ponce and I used to go out there at any hour of the night when I was young(er). Now I'm a scaredy cat. It happens with age. What can I say... lol.

Reply to: Getting here?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted