We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Ponce 4 nights

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Husband and I have Hilton pts. and want to use them for my 60th birthday. I'm discouraged that the beach there is not pretty. I love to snorkel and we will have a car and are planning on taking a snorkeling tour. We love to get in the car and explore. Will we be disappointed with the beach & water? Don't mind hanging at the pool when not on excursions. Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Ponce is not on the main tourist trail. I am even pretty sure the Ponce Hilton is not beach front, and you cannot access the beach in.that area (pls someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Ponce is 1.5hrs from SJU, and you will need a car if you want to save on taxis and tours. But if you want an off the beaten path location, the you should be ok.

There are 4 Hilton properties in SJ, if you rather stay there.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

I've read that the beach is not good. Looks like it is right on beach though. We are not interested in night life, just golf, exploring and snorkeling. This trip will be practically free, except for food, car. Will we be disappointed? Thanks!

boston
Level Contributor
658 posts
1 review
3. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Direct beach access. But not a decent beach at all. Narrow black sand. Choppy water. Not true Caribbean blue. You will be disappointed if you want to snorkel right there.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

No snorkeling there, not even beach for swimming. Can't you stay at the other Hilton properties in San Juan? Not good for snorkeling, but nice beach.

If you are staying in Ponce, you can go to Caja de Muerto or Bahia de Jobos by Salinas.Or further going west to Boqueron

Edited: 24 October 2016, 14:53
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Ponce Hilton is a nice hotel. But it's a hotel for golfers and locals. It's not really a hotel for vacationing because the location is not convenient, and the beach isn't good.

Will you be disappointed? If you are looking for down time and golfing, then no. But if a swimmable beach is a must, then yes, absolutely.

The hotel does have direct access to the "beach". However, it is definitely not a nice beach. The water is dark, so snorkeling is not an option because you won't be able to see anything. Take my word for it: you won't want to get in that water.

You can snorkle in Cabo Rojo, which is about an hour west of Ponce.

I hope this helps!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

So which hotel is the one up on a hill, across the water?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Thanks so much for all the great info! Would love to take a tour to Caja de Muerto. I'm looking for a small tour that will also take us snorkeling.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Help!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
200 reviews
9. Re: Hilton Ponce 4 nights

Prdaytrips site has a lot of tour info/ads