We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Rochester, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

My fiance and I are going to Vieques for our honeymoon in April 2012. We are staying at Hector's By the Sea, and I am beyond excited! The whole island looks so beautiful and seems very laid-back. Perfect for us.

We're figuring out the logistics of getting to Vieques and I thought I'd run our options by the forum crowd for some advice. We're planning to arrive in San Juan at 1 a.m. on a Sunday night/Monday morning. From there, we can either (a) take a cab to a nearby hotel, return to the airport on Monday afternoon and fly to Vieques, or (b) take the 45-min cab ride to Fajardo when we first get in, stay at a hotel there, and hop on the ferry on Monday.

The first option seems like the easiest, but the second option is a little less expensive. I've heard a lot of mixed things about the ferry, though. Would love to hear people's thoughts! Also, hotel suggestions near the airport and/or in Fajardo are welcome.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 10:42
Level Contributor
619 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Splurge and fly! I doubt if you're going to find anything at 1 am. Stay overnight in San Juan and then fly over. We use Cape Air to take advantage of SJU presence and higher baggage limit, but it's appx. $100 each way pp. If you have less luggage, you may save money flying one of the several other locals.

Congratualtions and enjoy.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Another option is to fly our of Isla Grande Airport (SIG), a small regional airport located close to Old San Juan. The airfare is about $126/pp/rt so you would save close to $200 over using SJU. If you choose this option just remember to allow enough time on your return for the transfer from SIG to SJU and getting through security, USDA inspection, etc. I would recommend a minimum of a 2 hour layover between arrival at SIG and departure out of SJU.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

We agree with ViequesGuy- try to find a place in Old San Juan for the first night & fly out of Isla Grande (SIG). Depending on the flight you take to Vieques, you may have a couple of hours to have a look around Old San Juan on Monday AM.

Rochester, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Thank you all so much for the feedback!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

you can also hang around the airport for 4 1/2 hours then head over to isla grande for their 6 15 am flight. or to ceiba for their 6 15 am flight

or get in a cab and head to the 4am cargo ferry. if not, go to the airport in the next town over for a $30 615 am flight to vieques.

you can save some money on a hotel.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Taking the ferry is much cheaper than flying, however, it can be quite an adventure. The schedule is unpredictable and they may run out of tickets. For your honeymoon , I would recommend flying from either SJU or Isla Grande. Save the adventure for your next visit to Vieques.

I would also recommend you stay in Old San Juan that first night. That way you can walk around the old town monday morning and then catch your flight.

Rochester, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Thanks, everyone!

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

It might be too pricey at that time but check the rates at El Convento in Old San Juan - definitely worth a night or two! It's our FAVORITE hotel... ever! We specifically planned to go the end of the "Low Season" this year when the rates at El Convento are a fraction of the normal cost. The weather is still just awesome and there's very rarely a hurricane in mid-December so it's ideal!

Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Vieques Guy

I, too, am so excited about coming to your island. I had the good fortune of having the winning bid for the BrattleboroArtMuseum in VT that auctioned off a week long Casa stay on Vieques.

Thank you so much for posting info about alternative airlines as I was about to pose the same question... can you identify names of airlines flying out of the smaller airport - Isla Grande Airport (SIG). Or where to find this information?

I assume that the TAXI is best way to get from SJU to SIG - as there will be four or five of us. We will be coming at end of April and staying through 1st week of May which I assume is the "slower" season?

Thankyou!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Vieques -- Q's about getting there

Hi Travelwhenwecan,

Check out Vieques AirLink for flights from SIG to VQS and back: www.viequesairlink.com. The fare is $126/pp/rt from SIG. Yes, you'll taxi from SJU to SIG. Its usually about a 20 minute ride. Since there are five in your party you might ask about chartering flights both ways - it might be about the same cost. Also check out Air Flemenco http://www.airflamenco.net, and Seaborne Airlines http://www.seaborneairlines.com.

Late April/early May is slower but compared to many other Caribbean destinations the "busy" season on Vieques isn't really that busy.

Edited: 24 November 2011, 17:59
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques