We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Martinique right for you?

Boston
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is Martinique right for you?

Been noticing many negative feedback and comments from various folks about their experience in Martinique. With the recent addition of Norwegian direct flights from the US and the addition of new cruise ships, I thought I offer the following guidelines and personal opinions whether you should consider Martinique and Guadeloupe as your next vacation.

If you expect any of the following, then these islands may not be right for you:

1. My idea of the perfect vacation is an all inclusive where I don’t have to set a foot outside the resort

2. They accept the Dollar.

3. I expect people to speak English.

4. French people are rude.

5. French people hate Americans.

6. I don’t care for French food.

7. The locals are desperate for my dollars.

8. I am looking for a dirt cheap destination.

9. I am just looking to lay on the beach and really not interested in culture and history.

10. I am on a super tight budget.

11. I expect people to bend over backwards to accommodate me because they need tourists.

12. I am looking forward to some duty free shopping.

If you answered yes to any of these statements, there are other Caribbean islands that could be much better suited for your needs.

Other fellow French islands loving travelers please add to this list :)

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe
Caribbean
10 replies to this topic
Fort-de-France...
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

Love it, very well sumed.

Boston, MA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

Disagree with #9. While I prefer exploring every place I visit (and am not one to just lay on a beach), I don't think there is anything wrong with a traveler who just wants to go to Martinique to lay on the beach and unwind. It's a beautiful place to do so. Any visitor would be pleased with the gorgeous beaches and if that is his/her desire, it will certainly be fulfilled. As a matter of fact, we spoke to a family that came to do just that in the south and left very happy with their trip.

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Boston
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

# 9 was really not meant to say that the beaches in Martinique aren’t nice. Grande Anse des Salines for example is absolutely gorgeous and we very much enjoyed it. It really looks like out of a postcard!

#9 meant to say that Martinique and Guadeloupe are more than just another beach destination.

Many years ago, we visited Turks and Caicos and stayed on Grace beach. It has a super fine white sand and the most turquoise water you will ever see. I believe it ranked the number 1 beach in the world in the 2018 TripAdvisor ranking. However, after 3 days we were just bored and we found little to do there other than the beach and water related activities. This was never the case in Martinique since in addition to the beach, you can visit museums, plantations, distilleries, a gorgeous library, bookstores, local markets and much more.

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Grande Anse des Salines
Grande Anse des Salines
225 Reviews
Martinique
Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe
Caribbean
Boston...
Level Contributor
302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

Re: #1 — Club Med has all-inclusive resorts on both islands.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

I have answered NO to all questions. Now, before buying the flight ticket, my question:

13. How is birding on Martinique?

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Boston
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

Yes there are a couple of all inclusive places such as Club Med and Club Trois Ilets so that option is certainly available.

My point was that the French islands may appeal more to travelers who don’t necessarily need an all inclusive. Other islands such as St Lucia, Jamaica and Dominican Republic offer a mind boggling number of all in inclusive options. It’s mostly a question of preference. We prefer by far managing our own vacation schedule and sample different places and restaurants and Martinique is perfect for that given that’s it is safe to roam around.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

When we go on vacation we like to explore the local towns and hike the country. Will this be difficult knowing no French at all?

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

I am on my way to Martinique for the second time in 3 years tomorrow. I LOVED this island and have been to numerous places in the carribean and around the world. Speaking French is a definite asset but I found the people to be friendly and welcoming. The food is not outstanding - but its an island! fish and local produce is great. the beaches are beautiful, there is lots of things to too (history, hiking and exploring FdF). I cant wait to visit Les fonds blancs, hike the route des esclaves, visit le diamant and les salines beaches and enjoy the peace of this amazing French island. be open and enjoy the difference away from the familiar.

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

not sure if youre still looking for an answer - it really helps to speak French in Martinique, that said, the hiking is superb and you can always find occasional folks who speak some English.

Mentioned in this post
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
541 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Martinique right for you?

When my family traveled to Guadeloupe several years ago we studied some basic french phrases (Babbel is a great site!) and used google translate. Even when we encountered people who spoke no english, we were able to communicate pretty well through hand signals and lots of patience and politeness!

Mentioned in this post
Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe
Caribbean
Reply to: Is Martinique right for you?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted