We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

los angeles
Level Contributor
502 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

Hi, I heard there is ferry and helicopter service between the two islands. Can someone provide more info? from where? how often? how long is the ride? how much does it cost? Also, I heard some hotels offer timeshare presentations and provide ferry service for free? if so, which hotels?

Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

There is ferry service between SBH and SXM. You can depart from either Marigot or Phillipsburg (preferred as it is a shorter trip). It cost about $90 and takes an hour. They are departures for 9:00 AM...not sure about return. The trip is known to be rough, (the Voyager's nickname is the Vomit Comit) especially on the way over.

I don't know about helicopters but there are also flights. WinAir is has the most and it costs about $200 for the 15 minute ride. Also the SBH airport does not have lights so you would have to return early (it gets dark in the Caribbean around 7:00 PM)

The only hotel I am aware of that operates as a "fractional" (ie high end timeshare) is the Eden Rock's EROS plan. Those properties START at about $500,000 so I doubt they are ferrying people over from SXM who are just looking to save the $90. In other words, if you have to ask....

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Barths
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

Hi

The least expensive ferry costs around 45 euros, for locals, and takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Do not take it if you get seasick. There is no helicopter service. The plane costs about 120 euros and takes 15 minutes. I'd take the plane. If the price difference is really important, you may have other problems on St. Barths. It is a fabulous island, but it is, also, a fabulously expensive island..

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

Do NOT take the ferry. Especially if they have an Austraiian crew. They're a bunch of con artists.

St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

What?

Australians?

The crew are French.

How can you get ripped off by a ferry?

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

Yes, Babath. Search previous postings. It was the boat from St. Martin. Nothing at all wrong with SB. It's my favorite place on Earth.

Mentioned in this post
St Barts
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

Ahh, you're talking about the Edge.

I believe they are English and South African.

You shouldn't have the same experience with the Voyager, although the ride is still rough

7. Re: Ferry between St. Barts & St. Maarten/St.Martin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:17