We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Highland Village...
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Coming in on a cruise and would like to hire a taxi for about 5 - 6 hours. Can anyone tell me about how much that would cost? Thanks!

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

You can taxi to a location from the harbor...but to have one wait for you all day? Not certain that's possible? An idea---Gustavia is very walkable so depending on the time you could go there for lunch---then take a tour of the island (maybe an hour) then get dropped off at one of the beautiful beaches at Saline, Gouvanier or Flamands. If you did Flamands there is a beautiful place to lunch/lounge on the beach: Hotel Isle de France where you can get a plage chair as well. After your time there the hotel could arrange for a cab to pick you up, too.

You will love St. Barts!

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

I also have no idea on the cost. I am also not sure why you would want a driver for the entire day...the island is small (8sq miles) and a tour would take between 1-2 hours.

JaneyM's plan above is a good one. If you search the forum there are other suggestions for day-trippers. Many recommend St Jean, which also has beach restaurants, a great view of the airport and shopping...all within walking distance.

Mentioned in this post
St. Jean
St. Jean
St. Barthelemy
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

This thread has ideas and links to other day trip threads:

http://tiny.cc/i6l70

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,509 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

We hire a taxi "for the day" a couple of years ago and negotiated an hourly rate with the driver before we started out. I recall it was something like 20 or 25 euros/hour. I can't say if the rate today will be the same but if you figure around 30 euros/hour you'll be in the ball park.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Taxi from Gustavia to St. Jean (which is 5 minutes away)=$20 so $40 return and a rental car for the day can be about $35. I would rent a car and take a tour and get to know the island.

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
St. Jean
St. Jean
St. Barthelemy
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Our first time to St. Barts was a day trip from St. Martin and we rented a car. The island is very small and we had fun driving on the narrow twisty roads. We fell in love with St. Barts that day and have been back 5 times since. It's an annual trip for us that we would hate to miss. Rent a car. It's alot of fun!

Mentioned in this post
Highland Village...
Level Contributor
210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I initially had in mind hiring the taxi for the day so we could go around to all the different beaches and stay a bit at each and get to see the island. My experience with some other islands is that it often requires $40 - $50 roundtrip to be taken to just one beach so I thought we might be better off just hiring for the day. The rental car suggestion is a good one as we have driven on other islands (and ones like Antigua where I bet the roads are in worse condition than on St. Bart's) -- a few questions regarding the car rental . . . will they meet us at the port with a car, do we need a St. Bart's temp license, is the driving on the right or the left and how is the parking in town and at the beaches? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

They will meet you on the dock. Driver is on the left hand side. Nothing special needed.Parking is okay around town and the island. Gustavia is tighter and it depends on the day and time of year.

We love Europcar, but Hertz and Avis are there as well as some other local agencies.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

Well, the DRIVER is on the left but DRIVING Is on the right. Its just as in the USA. I think renting a car is a much better value, and more flexible. Have a great trip!

10. Re: About how much would it be to hire a taxi for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 01:30