We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in St Jean!!

London
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos in St Jean!!

Recently returned from a lovely trip including Antigua/St Martin and a week in a lovely villa in the hills above St Jean in St Barts.

We are regular travellers to the Caribbean and I usually do not get bitten, but in St Barts we were both bitten every day, really badly, at the Villa, where the mozzies seemed to be active during the daytime - we got eaten alive round the pool. Nighttime we had no problem as our rooms were screened and had A/C. We used 2 types of household spray, and 2 types of repellant on our skin (including 50% deet tropical strength and OFF!) to no effect! This is the only time we have encountered such problems with Mosquitos and although we want to return to St Barts next year, we have been put off by the fearsome mozzies. Has anyone else encountered this problem and can anyone recommend repellants that work against the St Barts mosquitos. Seriously, travelled all round the Caribbean and rest of the world for last 40 years and never had a problem before! GRIFF

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

1-request the villa and grounds be sprayed before you arrive.

2-rent a villa further up and away from the salt pond.

All across the Carib. it has gotten worse. I wouldn't blame St. Barth's-just a bit more aware in villa selection.

London
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

Thanks ackbyrd, actually we weren't that close to the salt pond, we were fairly high up, but maybe next trip I'll choose somewhere on the coast. GRIFF

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
625 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

You might like the Lurin/Gouv area-terrific sun set views. high up, and yet, close to the action. (and fewer standing water sources)

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

Is this a problem only in the summer or does it also exist in November when I plan on having great, no mosquito, vacation?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

I believe that mosquitoes are not a seasonal insect. They are around the island at all times. It is more dependent on the weather (wind and rain esp) and location in terms of their frequency. Villas in high, windy locaitons away from standing water are less likely to have skeeters. Using a high quality insect repellent is important as well. We use Bullfrog sunscreen with repellent during the day and a deet spray for evenings.

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

We stay in Flamands Blue on the Flamands hillside and bugs are never an issue, the place is sprayed (along with the beautiful neighborhood every 2 weeks) and this particular villa has SCREENS---which for us are a must have--- fairly rare on St.Barth.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 15:32
London
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

Thanks for everyone's input, really helpful. I feel we were unlucky with location and villa, as I said we had no bites on the other islands immediately prior to arriving in St Barts - so, I'm looking at either Flammands, Lurin or L'Orient next year. GRIFF

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

Having researched insect repellents (mosquitoes, flies, ticks, etc.) and insecticides for weeks before our month in the brush and jungles, I have posted my extensive research here. It includes toxicity and how long the stuff is effective (before you have to re-apply it):

www.woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm

9. Re: Mosquitos in St Jean!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Barthelemy