We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Hi All,

I've been to Jamaica a few times in the last couple years and looking to go somewhere different. Thinking of St. Lucia. Can anyone that has been to the two give any comparisons in terms of weather, available activities, overall experience?

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

St Lucia is farther south and much less likely to be hit with a hurricane during that season. People on both islands are friendly. You can do a volcano tour, snorkel or dive, and hike the Pitons if you're in shape. St Lucia's beaches are public in theory but some hotels have essentially private ones eg if the only land access is through the resort. Pigeon Park, ziplining, Friday night jump-up, golf, there's lots to do.

California
Level Contributor
519 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Hi there,

We had been to Jamaica three times and just this past December decided to try St. Lucia (we go to Sandals resorts). Let me start by saying that we really enjoyed St. Lucia, however, overall I think we like Jamaica better. That being said, I still think you should give St. Lucia a try for something different.

What we liked about St. Lucia:

The island is absolutely beautiful. It is really nice to be able to stay at the Sandals Grande and hike Pigeon Island to get a feel for the island without paying the money or having the long bus trip for an excursion. The people there are very friendly, just as friendly as Jamaicans. From what we've been told, St. Lucia is much safer for the traveler than Jamaica. We found the weather to be awesome. We always go the week before Christmas and in St. Lucia the temperature was perfect with a nice breeze always keeping it cool with the sun not sooo intense. In Jamaica there are times where the sun was so intense and it was almost always humid at night. We thought this would be the opposite with being further south, but not so for us.

What we like about Jamaica:

Jamaica seems to offer more of its culture to travelers. Meaning we've always gotten to experience what they have to offer that is unique - Bluemountain coffee, Ackee? and Saltfish, Appleton rum, real jerk chicken, jerk patties. We didn't feel that St. Lucia really offered us anything truly St. Lucian. This is just one of those things that we look for when traveling.

We didn't go on any excursions while there, except for the hike up to Fort Rodney and Signal Peak. However, the same types of excursions were available as those in Jamaica. Bike rides, zip line, etc. There is a volcano in St. Lucia so that is a little different.

Regarding Sandals, we loved the location and views of the Grande in St. Lucia, but thought the food, and service were better at the ones we've visited in Jamaica (SRC, SDR, SWH).

I think you should give it a try for something different. We weren't disappointed, just realized our hearts are in Jamaica. We do still hope to go back to St. Lucia someday. I think one thing that weighs on it a little too is the fact that it is more expensive and longer to fly to St. Lucia. Overall, it is worth it though. Give it a try. You might find that St. Lucia is your favorite.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Thanks for the very detailed responses! I'm looking at Coconut Bay resort and spa (i think thats what its called)..any comments on this place? ive read reviews and they look pretty good...

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Agree with Pug13. We too are frequent Jamaica travelers who decided to try St Lucia. Very nice for something different. The Pitons are amazing.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
477 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

We are doing the flip.....We feel our hearts belong to St Lucia and this year we have decided to give Sandals Negil a whirl, Then flying from Jamaica to St Lucia and heading back to the Grande for the duration of our holiday.

Any words of advise from the frequent Jamaica travelers?

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

We too felt the need for a change, have been to Sandals in Jamaica 5 times and decided to try St Lucia Grande last march, we booked another trip this march and we are back to Jamaica. St lucia was beautiful, the weather was very comparable. Our biggest reason to go back was the food ( there seems to be more Jamaican specialties, then St lucian). And, the resort staff was just a little more friendly in Jamaica. The activities were about the same, although the tubing in St lucia was a blast! The watersports guys were awesome. The pitons were great too, so i am glad we chose St lucia, but our "home" is back in Jamaica

Poole
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

I love both as we married in St Lucia bur our first Caribbean holiday was Jamaica. We have visited Jamaica three times and this year will be our second visit to St Lucia, Then again I feel at home in Barbados but Jamaica does have that "earthy" pull and you love being back there when you arrive. We are also looking at Couples Negril for next year looks a fantastic place.Also trying Tobago this year.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

Funny but I prefer St. Lucia. I have vacationed and worked in Jamaica. I can't disagree with the postings as I do think Jamaica has more "culture" you can experience if you seek it out but the beauty and serenity of St. Lucia draws me back yearly.

9. Re: St. Lucia vs. Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 17:20