We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery shopping in rodney bay?

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
grocery shopping in rodney bay?

My family and I will be staying at landings rock resort starting tomorrow for a week.

we'd like to go shopping to buy our groceries friday morning. can i hire a cab without going through the resort? is it walkable to town, and can i get a cab back? i like to walk.

what are the supermarkets liek there? fruits and vegetables readily available? expensive? any suggestions? we're not to picky as long as they have a variety of whatever.

Thanks very much, all jittery here!!

K's

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,097 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery shopping in rodney bay?

it's probably easiest to hire a cab through the hotel, you are a bit off the main highway, and it's a long walk into town. Long. Especially carrying groceries back! A cab will take you and wait for you while you shop. Also, if you wanted, they would be able to take you to a local market for some of your produce.

There are a few options for groceries in Gros Islet and Rodney Bay. There are 2 Super J supermarkets, both offer a pretty good selection of pretty much all the normal produce - apples, grapes, etc., and veggies - lettuce, carrots, onions, etc. Also a fairly wide selection of all the regular products, breads, personal items, etc.

In Rodney Bay at the Baywalk mall there is also glFoodmarket. It has a somewhat wider selection of foods and produce, along with some higher end, more gourmet items.

As it is a small island, much of our food and produce, etc. is imported - most of it actually. The prices reflect this. If you buy the local produce - which will be the freshest and most in season products - the price is much better, especially on veggies.

Have a great trip! The Landings is beautiful.

Also, if I remember correctly, Landings has outlets for both 110v and 220v.

Enjoy your trip!!!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery shopping in rodney bay?

We were in Rodney Bay a couple of weeks ago and took a walk through the IGA market, there. Some of the items - beef, for example - were pricey. Not unexpected. Lots of other stuff - notably liquor & beer - were not. That would be the place to go if I were shopping for meals.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery shopping in rodney bay?

We had a car rental the entire time when staying at the Landings. We saw a few couples doing the walk to/from Rodney Bay. I'd say it's maybe a half-hour walk each way? I'm definitely a walker, living in manhattan, but I'm not sure if I'd necessarily want to walk an hour just for groceries. Have you considered renting a car for maybe a day or so to check out the island? Our per day car rental was $60, which worked out much better financially considering the airport transfers are more than that each way, plus of course the added benefit of being able to get wherever we needed without hassle.

Essex
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery shopping in rodney bay?

According to the Landing web site, they run a shuttle bus service into Rodney Bay but you need to make a reservation.

5. Re: grocery shopping in rodney bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 17:18