We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to make a difference???

Kanab, Utah
10 posts
How to make a difference???

My husband and I will be visiting Soufriere in June. We would love to find a way to make a difference for people who could use a lift while on our trip. I was wondering if there is an orphanage or children's home on the island that we could bring school supplies, shoes, clothes, or sports balls. (open to ideas of what would be the most needed) I'm a teacher and would love to have the opportunity to help the children in the community in some small way.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
1. Re: How to make a difference???

Bon jou federkeil,

As a teacher you know the value of early-childhood literacy. You can make a far-reaching and long-lasting contribution by donating to Hands Across The Sea, dedicated to creating primary and secondary children's libraries across the Caribbean, including Saint Lucia. Take a look at www.handsacrossthesea.net

OR in Soufrière contact Richard Jean-Baptiste, a young man making a difference in the lives of a group of adolescents from Fond Benier (Soufrière) for almost two years now, volunteering his time and as much of his earnings as possible with great results!

He counsels/trains the boys in positive thoughts/actions, respect for themselves/others, importance of a spiritual practice, giving & receiving blessings, basic life skills AND sports, of course!

Contact Richard directly at Trigger-Trey22@outlook.com or txt/call 758 486 7410

Bless up! Paul

preston
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: How to make a difference???

Great idea , we have just returned from a visit to a school in Gros Isle it is our 3 rd visit to this school we had 20 kilos of school equipment, it has become a highlight of our holiday, the children are so well behaved it's great fun.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
3. Re: How to make a difference???

@ mark s... Teachers & students appreciate all school supplies!

Kanab, Utah
10 posts
4. Re: How to make a difference???

Thanks for the advise! Paul, I emailed Richard a few days ago, and I didn't hear back from him... do you know him well enough to know if he would check his email daily, or weekly? Maybe it would be better to try to call him? I just didn't want to incur international charges for him.

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: How to make a difference???

One good way to contact people on the island is to use WhatsApp for free texting and calling. Email is really inefficient but WhatsApp always works great for contacting people. Just pit it on your smartphone if you don't have it already and you're good to go. It's also a good way for contacting people when you are on island, as lond as you have access to a wifi connection.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: How to make a difference???

Hi! I am actually in St. Lucia now on a two week volunteer service trip through Global Volunteers. It is an amazing organization. Contact them and they will point you in the right direction!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
7. Re: How to make a difference???

Mesi for the heads up, federkeil! He probably checks every day. We will call him to make sure email address is correct. One Love! Paul

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
8. Re: How to make a difference???

Richard did change his email address, federkeil... garryrjean@gmail.com Big up! Paul

Kanab, Utah
10 posts
9. Re: How to make a difference???

Thanks! I'll try that email!

10. Re: How to make a difference???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 00:16