We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The baths planning!

St.Louis
Level Contributor
30 posts
The baths planning!

Hello,

I will visiting Tortola November 26th via cruise ship. I plan to head over to the baths and spend the day there. I was curious if any one had any advice as to a good ferry over to Virgin Gorda? I have heard good things about Speedys however their first ferry over, is not until 10:30 (Ship arrives at 9). Also is it pretty easy to get a ride back and forth from the ferry port on Virgin Gorda to the baths? I am nervous about not making it back to the ferry in time for the last ferry back to Tortola within my time limits. One last question, where is the ferry port on Tortola located at? I have read it was in walking distance of the cruise port but never found a physical address. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,030 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: The baths planning!

Just choose the ferry that best fits your timetable. There are several taxis waiting to serve you, we had one drop us at the Top of the Baths so we could walk down and enjoy the Baths. We had him pick us up at a predetermined time and drop us at the Mine Shaft for lunch. You can eat at the Top of the Baths but the Mine Shaft is better and the view is extraordinary. Also home of the Cave In - "it's all in the juice mon!" The driver will teturn to get you and that makes for a great day with enough time to see Spanishtown before taking the ferry back.

For another source see the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: The baths planning!

I think Speedy's is your only option. You shouldn't have any problem finding a taxi once on Virgin Gorda. If there aren't any at the Ferry dock when you arrive, you just walk over to the Yacht harbor and there is a parking area where the taxi's hang out. They yacht harbor is very close by, on the same side of the street as the ferry, and within about 5 minutes or less of a walk away.

You can have a taxi called for you when leaving the baths, or like the previous poster recommend, arrange with it before hand with the driver who drops you off.

I have been over to Tortola via the ferry and when you pull into the dock you can look to the right and see the cruise ships in port, so you are within a 5 minute walk or less to the dock where you will board to Virgin Gorda.

Good luck and have fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: The baths planning!

There is a combo package for ferry and taxi to the Baths from Speedy's. They also have a package that includes lunch, but it severely limits your time at the beach. You can make an arrangement to have your driver take you back to Spanish Town if you want to look around at the shops (there are not too many) you can have them come a bit earlier than if you are just getting the ferry. I prefer lunch at the Top of the Baths to the Mineshaft, but that is just a personal preference and they also have a fresh water pool at Top of the Baths if you want to take a dip. There are also lockers by the beach (one time use only - you cannot get in and out of them) for your valuables.

Here is a map of Roadtown. The ferry is very close to the Cruise Ship dock.

www.caribbean-on-line.com/bv/rtmap.shtml

Hope that helps.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 10:11
St.Louis
Level Contributor
30 posts
4. Re: The baths planning!

Thanks so much for all the help! I think I will do the combo package for ferry and taxi to the Baths from Speedy's. Do you know if you can buy the ticket in advance? I'm not sure how many people the ferry can hold, but I would hate to not get on the first ferry over to Virgin Gorda!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: The baths planning!

They are pretty big...how many people on your ship. Most of them stay on Tortola and a good many invade the beach at Cane Garden Bay from what I remember...

Columbus...
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: The baths planning!

Don't worry about which ferry to take over, just catch the earliest upon arrival. The ferries do fill up fast, but just hurry over and be early to buy your tickets. It is quite a distance, but there should be shuttle buses to take you to the ferry dock. There also will be buses to take you from dock to The Baths. If you want a much nicer visit to VG. They will shuttle you to the jeep rental near the dock and you can rent a jeep for around 60 bucks. They will give you a map and you should head to North Sound exploring. You'll be able to see the entire island and save The Baths for last, when less crowded. The last ferry leaves at five. You'll have more than enough time to enjoy the entire island.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,030 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: The baths planning!

RB, the OP is on a cruise and although it's a great day he won't have the time to benefit from renting a car and touring the North Sound and the Baths (at least in my opinion). I would spend the time enjoying the Baths and a lunch somewhere and perhaps a beach stop.

I still recommend taking a taxi so you have the flexibility of doing your own little "itinerary" so the driver can pick you back up when you want. Our driver was very accommodating and they will be fairly slow in late Nov.

As saffie stated lunch can be had at the Top of the Baths (TOB) and there is a small pool there and that is certainly a good option. The pool was very hot in late May but should be cooler late Nov. But I would still consider the Mine Shaft for lunch and drinks (the Cave In of course) for two reasons -

You see a little more of the island, and the panoramic view from the top of the hill at the Mine Shaft is magnificent - you have a chance to see some of the beautiful islands of the BVI from that vantage point. The food is also good and the owner is neat to meet. The Cave In is made from "secret" ingredients that are lowered from a hard hat above the bar to simulate the mine just outside the bar. "It's all in the juice Mon" is the saying of the day!

But whatever your choices I'm sure you will be happy you chose the Baths as your excursion, and do enjoy your visit! Be sure to report on your day trip here afterwards.

8. Re: The baths planning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 12:17