We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Tortola

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
2 reviews
Safety in Tortola

Is tortola any safer than st thomas at night? In st. thomas tourists are advised not to leave their hotel at night, what about tortola?

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Tortola

We have never felt uncomfortable in Tortola at night. I travel with couples, families, and also on ladies trips (which I will be doing again in a few weeks!). We never feel unsafe at night and go out to Cane Garden Bay dancing and drinking. We go to Bomba Shack...Have never had any problem. As a matter of fact the islanders we have met are really lovely and we keep in touch with them between trips.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Tortola

We stay on both islands and we've never been told not to leave the hotel at night on STT. You will hear that going into some areas at night is ill-advised (such as downtown CA late at night) but that's also true in my hometown. Just use common sense.

Having said that, Tortola is a very safe island to be on. There is an element just as anywhere else, but like lindsay, we feel perfectly safe going out in CGB or WE in the evenings. The people of Tortola are really wonderful, it's a totally different experience there than on STT and STJ.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Tortola

In a word, yes, I would say that it is pretty fair to say that the BVI in general are safer than the USVI. There is very little crime in the BVI and have been there many times and have not even locked our doors. Having said that, I would probably be careful in Roadtown later at night because it has changed over the years and as with anywhere would use normal precautions just to be safe.

Hampton, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
242 reviews
4. Re: Safety in Tortola

I've stayed in both and we did have safety issues in ST. No problems in Tortola but even quaint St John had some unpleasant racial issues when we were there. I love Tortola, JVD and St John.....not so much St Thomas. Frankly, it's too crowded and Americanized if that is PC.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: Safety in Tortola

Have only landed in the airport in STT on our way to St. John, so, don't have any first hand experience with that island. Have stayed many wks on nearly all of the major BVI and have not had any problems. One does hear about theft from time to time, and occasionally more serious crime, primarily on Tortola. Relatively speaking, the BVI are very safe islands, and are safer than STT.

Tortola
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Safety in Tortola

In any case, be sure to have police phone numbers written down somewhere. There are 3 locations, all have different phone numbers.

http://bvinewbie.com/bvi-directory/police/

Simsbury...
1 post
7. Re: Safety in Tortola

what about for a women there on her own?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Safety in Tortola

A single woman should be ok. Be smart, if you go out at night, don't get intoxicated and don't accept rides from strangers. Try to hook up with a few other tourists, or with locals whom you trust.

Safe travels, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: Safety in Tortola

Ditto

10. Re: Safety in Tortola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 00:16