We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumped on Air Sunshine

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
Bumped on Air Sunshine

We flew out of VG on Air Sunshine yesterday, and found it quite frustrating...a friend, who was scheduled to fly out of VG to San Juan at 12:30, was bumped TWICE, and when we showed up at 2:30 for our 4 pm flight, he was still at the VG airport....he finally got on the flight just before ours. From what I could tell, the airline had overbooked some larger groups, and also were in no way enforcing the 40 pound per person luggage restriction, resulting in the back ups. Given that we had carefully packed to be well under the limit, we were pretty annoyed. The guys working the counter were completely unhelpful and uncommunicative, which made the situation even more annoying. I think we'll be back to the ferry next time.......

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

I am very sorry for your troubles. We have had no issues with Air Sunshine when we used them, but you accurately described some of the reasons we tend to use the ferry as much as possible. This has happened to others before - the bumping of flights, the unhelpfulness, the lack of communication. It does not always happen but it has been reported happening enough to make us nervous about using them unless a juicy deal opens up to San Juan. Since we travel off season there is usually less chance of overbooking, but my wife gives me a pained expression when I tell her I have booked that method of getting there.

Thank you for sharing the experience. It is important for folks to know what can happen.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
551 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

That's why they are nicknamed "Air Anytime" We had our party split up the second time we visited VG . . . they arrived 6 hours later. We're thinking of returning to VG next year and I think we'll do the fly to St Thomas and ferry over route. My sister does it this way and says it's much more relaxing than hanging at San Juan airport, hoping you'll make it onto the plane.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

Sorry to hear this, as noted, it does happen from time to time, and is very frustrating for sure. I was bumped up to an earlier flight a couple of years ago, and they called my accommodation the day before to inform me of the change. Other than that, we haven't had any problems with AS, but, like ACB, we tend to travel during the low season, when there are fewer passengers.

safe travels, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

We are considering a trip to VG nex winter but the logistics are giving me a headache. We avoided Air Sunshine for our past trip for the very reasons described here.

Is Seaborne or Cape Air servicing VG yet?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

Seaborne is now serving VG. One flight a day confirmed.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
6. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

I'm sitting in Virgin Gorda airport right now. There are 10 people waiting for a plane that seats 9. Let's see how Air Sunshine deals with this.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

Maybe one of them will straddle the top like Major T.J."King" Kong (Slim Pickens).

Sorry to hear that, Roman V.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 14:24
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
8. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

They sent 2 planes. However both we're 2 hours late and I missed my connecting flight. All flights to Chicago were full including connecting flights in other cities. We spent the night in Philadaphia. Hopefully I will be in Chcago in 2 hours. The owner on Air Sunshine was our pilot. He tried to help and did what he could but really what could he do? Now I will have to fight with American Airlines to get my money back. I doubt that will happen. Give yourselves lots of time for connections. Appearently 2 and a half hours isn't enough. Even if Air Sunshine calls the connecting airline before takeoff to confirm you're going to be there.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

Sorry to hear about your hassles, but we appreciate you keeping us posted. I think you are probably right about connections, we generally try to give ourselves 4 hours in SJU. I know it seems like a lot of time, but the alternative is not pretty. Hope your flight to Chicago goes well....alashas

fayetteville, AR
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Bumped on Air Sunshine

We flew Seaborne from SJU to VG in March. Our flight was delayed by a little over an hour due to mechanical issues. Our return was fine, no problems. We will be flying Air Sunshine in July, STT to VG. Reading the comments here are making me very nervous. However my friends over on TTOL are also talking about the ferry issues that have been going on for a while now. So, it is hard to know what to do :(

I guess it is a good thing that VG is so hard to get to. It keeps it a lovely, uncrowded, charming island.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations