We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
552 posts
64 reviews
Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Planning my big 50th bday trip and considering returning to Virgin Gorda and Mahoe Bay as my favorite thing to do on vacation is snorkel. I saw several posts on Fodors forum saying the snorkeling had gone down hill at Mahoe Bay and on the island in general. Our previous three trips we had great snorkels at Mahoe and Nail Bay, seeing turtles, octopus, lots of tangs, etc. This was in 2008,9 and 10. Anyone snorkeled these spots or elsewhere around the islands these last few years and care to give their opinion? Thanks

NY,NY
Level Contributor
218 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Interested in this topic also. Saw a recent review of Mango Bay where the poster said the entire reef was shot. All dead. Sounds unlikely but anyone know something? Too late for me as I'm going in a month to Mahoe Bay but it would be a great shame if any of this were true.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Snorkeling any particular site can be hit or miss, due to weather conditions, ocean currents, etc. For instance, we snorkeled with 1 to 3 turtles at Mahoe on nearly every snorkel in 2009, and, in 2010, saw 1 turtle in a week's worth of daily snorkels. However, the visibility in 2010 was incredible for both snorkeling and scuba diving, and I doubt that things have changed much at Mahoe - the outer reef of that dual reef system tends to keep the inner reef where you'll be snorkeling in very good condition. Here are some videos, including the largest school of tang that I have ever seen www.youtube.com/playlist…

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Congrats on your upcoming 50th, Tamsen. My wife will be celebrating hers on Virgin Gorda this year. Was I suppose to say that....?

I was hopeful that alashas would comment on Mahoe. He is a big fan of that reef system. I have not had a huge amount of success with an over abundance of sea creatures there, but the last time my son and I snorkeled it the reef was generally in good shape and we saw a turtle and a very large Chain eel as well. My son and I both greatly enjoyed snorkeling Long Bay - some of the healthiest reef we saw on the island - and Mountain Trunk. We were also very surprised by how much the reef had come back in the Spring Bay area, to the south along the rocks going towards the Baths. We saw A LOT of fish over there. I would have been impressed with that number of fish anywhere I have ever snorkeled. Very much enjoyed snorkeling at the Dogs as well.

"Bob n Sharon" posted a link to pictures and really good snorkeling directions from their annual trip a couple of months ago. It should be required reading for anyone who wants to snorkel VirginGorda. Search it out and follow their link and I don't think you will have any more concerns about the quality of snorkeling there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
158 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

I have been snorkeling and diving in and around Mahoe Bay for well over 25 years and just returned from spending a month there in January and part of February. You will have an excellent time snorkeling. There are plenty of fish to be schools of Tangs, Sargent Majors, Butterfly fish, varieties of Parrot fish, also turtles, rays, French and Gray Angels and Barracuda as well as too many others to list. Swim out from the beach do a wide circle past the first reef.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
552 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Thanks everyone . . I think I'll have a great 50th swimming with the fishes of VG!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Happy birthday! By the way, in addition to snorkeling, we did a shore dive at Mahoe Bay. We swam past the inner reef and then turned 90 degrees and swam in between the inner and out reefs in approx. 15 ft of water. Here is a video of what the reef looks like there http://youtu.be/_vIrJFDjcPI

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
552 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Ha! Don't push it . . . still in my 40's for 10 more months! : )

The shore dive looks awesome . . . I think I'm going to get certified/take a diving course before we go. Have dived once in Grenada and was an amazing experience. I can imagine diving around Monkey Point or the caves would be mind blowing!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Yes, scuba diving is awesome and we can't say enough good things about Dive BVI. We learned to dive with them in 2003 and have dove with them on every trip back to VG. It is an entirely new world under water and the BVI have a nice variety of dive sites with healthy, colorful coral, wrecks (including an airplane), etc. You have the options of getting certified before your trip, or doing your coursework and pool work with a local dive shop and then doing your 4 open water dives for certification in the BVI. Here is a video of the first 2 dives we did with them after our certification, at the Shallow Chromis dive site, where the tug boat, Beata, was sunk, and the Indians. Dive BVI made this video for us and we've recently posted it on-line http://youtu.be/wTdNG63N1bM

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Can you direct us to bob n Sharon's directions?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Snorkeling Mahoe Bay

Here you go:

http://www.doppstein.com/VG&SJ2012/

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations