We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car choice

NY,NY
Level Contributor
219 posts
19 reviews
Car choice

Just reserved a minivan (Dodge Caravan) for my stay on the Island next month because there are six of us and I've found minivans to be great beach cars and easy to load. However, I also love to explore all the nooks and crannies of the islands and don't want to limit myself to where I can go if I need a 4x4 with higher ground clearance to get down dirt roads. Anyone know if i can get just about everywhere in a mini van? Two of the six in our party are small kids so I could easily fit everyone into a five passenger SUV.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Car choice

Yes, you can get to most places on VG in a mini-van. Perhaps someone else who has been to VG more recently can chime in about the road from Nail Bay to the new Hog Heaven restaurant, because that was a 4WD road, but I think it might be paved. You'll be driving a vehicle larger than most, so I suggest paying attention to parking, turns, etc.

Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Level Contributor
324 posts
2. Re: Car choice

Alashas - I drove the road between Nail Bay and Hog Haven a couple of days ago and can confirm it is paved.

trudi@bestofbvi.com

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Car choice

The road down to Long Bay is dirt/gravel and heavily rutted. I don't use four wheel drive going down there but you need to be careful. Other than that I can't think of another place a minivan would be an issue.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
219 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Car choice

Thanks. Yeah, I was specifically thinking of the trip down to Long Bay. So I guess it's paved to Nail Bay now but still dirt the last distance to Long Bay? Think I'll try it with the minivan. Can always change it out if they have availability.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Car choice

You can definately do it, just keep the minivan as level as possible and you will be fine.

Monkton
2 posts
6. Re: Car choice

If you are renting a car on V.G. I would highly recommend "Mahogany Car Rental". They meet you at the ferry, and make it easy to come and go.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: Car choice

We've also had a # of very positive experience renting cars from Mahogany and recommend them very highly

http://www.mahoganycarrentalsbvi.com/

8. Re: Car choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda
Recent Conversations