We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

Virginia
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

I was trying to plan a GC trip a split SMB & Kaibo/Rum Point trip, but unfortunately waited too long to pull the trigger and now availability is incredibly limited at my first choice places and weeks I can travel.

There are two potential options that might still work. However the first option means a check-in/checkout to a different room during the SMB stay portion (ugh and not sure would go that route), or on the second option the night of handoff between Kaibo and Coral Stone is open (still ugh but seems less ugh).

Are there any places folks would recommend for a one night GC stay that would be interesting/fun/different etc.? (i.e. at least somewhat mitigate /rationalize to myself the accompanying full day of check-in/check-out hassles.)

12 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

That sounds like too much work and stress and not much fun - and a waste of precious vacation time. If you can arrange a full week at one of your top choices then just stay there for the week. You will be able to visit the other side of the island and then you can decide where you'd like to stay next time you visit GC - just my opinion.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

I agree with Kathy V......decide which option you prefer and stay in one place for the duration of your vacation. Also just my opinion.....I would hate to move during my vacation.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

We often split our Cayman vacations but we plan 2 weeks to visit 2 islands. During our recent trip we spent a week on GC and a week on Cayman Brac. The idea of moving in and out of 3 hotels in just 7 days while on the same small island just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

For a one week stay, stay at ONE place! You can happily and easily do an enjoyable and relaxing day trip via rental car to other parts of GC and decide if that is a location you would like to stay next time. Splitting locations for a one week vacation simply is not worth it.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

Our first visit, we split time on SMB and Rum Point. For us as a couple, it was no big deal repacking and moving to another place. We felt like we had two separate vacations in one.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

Testudo, I remember your first visit years ago. You and I both had a delayed arrival date that year due to a big storm in the area, if I remember correctly.

Edited: 10 November 2018, 19:54
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

Kiddos,

It was a July visit and we were still living in Jersey at the time. There may have been a storm delay, but that was just too long ago for my memory to recall. I just know I stayed at the Westin, and the Retreat. Looked at properties all over and reluctantly went to Sting Ray City and was blown away by the experience. Thought the restaurants were great and the water phenomenal. Memories...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
197 reviews
8. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

My gosh! You’re looking to check-in and check-out of three properties in a week? I would never do that on GC. Realize that it’s a tiny island and your accommodations are literally minutes from each other. My advice would be to pick one place and avoid any relocation.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

I'm with the others - pick a place and stay there for the whole trip. Wasting a day to move is a waste of a vacation day. Get a rental car and travel to the other part of the island when you want to see it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?

Yeah.... I get the wasting the vacation day thing.

I actually don't mind much at all relocating once during a week stay, if it's because there are two different areas/places I want to experience for cost effectiveness of a trip and places I'm fairly certain in advance I'll want to come back to. Heck, that day could be the day I make a the giant circle around the island, have a long lunch someplace, etc.

Twice though, yeah, a bit too much, especially in two days. Even though I could extend a few more days with that particular timing/combination.

Because I am coincidently looking at specific weeks that are popular, there's not full weeks left anywhere. It's actually do it one of these two ways, consider just a long weekend instead at one location, or book MUCH earlier for next year. ( Like maybe now. LoL !!)

Reply to: Recommendations for filling a one night lodging hole?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted