We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

Lima, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

I am concerned about the crime and safety on Grand Cayman

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

What makes you concerned?

Lima, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

Thank you for your reply,

I read your 2/2011 post on being mugged and saw pictures of your car after being hit with the ball bat. My husband is partially handicaped and we'd like to rent a car to explore and snorkel. It is always a concern whenever it is just the 2 of us. It will also make a difference on the place that we rent. I will be taking your posts into consideration when I book this vacation. Do you know of anyone that would be a personal guide for a day or two, to keep us out of trouble? No dates booked yet, I am stll gathering info and comparing prices with flexible date between mid Feb and mid March. We like basic, no thrill accommodations, with the ability to do some light meals, always with an ocean view! Any suggestions?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

We stayed at the Reef in May and loved it there. It is a big enough complex someone is always around. The snorkeling out front is great. Rented a car and drove around the north and east end. Lots of places to eat, but the Reef also has kitchens and a restaurant on site, with a small grocery across the road.

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

O.K.- I'll bite. Before the cursory, "I feel safer in Cayman than I do at home," will you all bear in mind that these folks are from Lima, not Harlem? That being said, Cayman is safer than the other Caribbean Islands. Still, always check with the State Dept. when traveling abroad.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

I've been back a few times since then and not had any similar experiences. And while easy for me to state, I would not let my experience deter you from visiting. Rather, I would hope it serves as a lesson to prevent something similar from occurring to others.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

You should be MUCH less concerned about crime when visiting the Cayman Islands when compared to visiting nearby cities like Columbus, Toledo, or Cleveland. While there is obviously crime everywhere, there is no reason to be any more concerned while in the Caymans than you would be as a tourist visiting any nearby city. Lock your car, don't flash big wads of money around, leave the diamond studded tiara at home and you'll be fine. I've spent months a year in the Caymans since the late 1970's and, with the exception of my house being broken into once or twice in the late 80's early 90's -it happens sometimes when you leave a house vacant for 6 months- I have never been the victim of a crime.

7. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

That was incredibly subtle with no agenda evident. Well done

New Hope...
Level Contributor
740 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

Crime rates are actually down. Maybe Regina should read the Cayman Compass instead of telling others to read it.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 20:25
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Up date on crime on Grand Cayman

Just don't read the landing page of Cayman News Service! ;-)